• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Westwind Flight School

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went out to visit them about a year ago. They seem to have a pretty good operation. They have a fairly new facility and new airplanes. Their operations are pretty organized and the administrators seemed pretty nice. It's hot as balls out there and it was March when I visisted. It is butted right up against Pan Am Flight Academy which is just across the parking lot. Good luck finding a place to park though. They have two parallel ruways that they conduct simultaneous approaches on. It is weird to see a string of 172s and Cherokees backed up, double-spaced for miles. They have decent sims and didn't seem to crowded inside. If you are looking to go the flight instructor route, it seems like a good place. I think their program is aobut 18 months and they have some kind of partnership with Skywest. You can also get a college degree through them. I decided to go to Airline Training Academy in Orlando b/c, at the time, they were putting pilots with American Eagle at only 450 hours. That all has changed since the 11th. I'm looking at the prospect of finishing the program and not having a job. If I had gone the flight instructor route, I would be working in a few months. It's just the "bad" luck of the draw. It's all about what you want. I researched flight schools a lot before coming to Orlando and Westwind was my second choice. It may be a good idea to be an instructor right now and see what happens with the industry. Hope this helps.

Westwind School Of Aeronautics

I got all of my training at Westwind. It's an excellent program, they put a great deal of priority on learning EVERYTHING about flying, not just what you need to pass a check-ride. They have a very strict quality control program which ensures that only the highest of standards are kept. If you are only interested in getting your tickets, this is not the place! But, if you want to be a truly great pilot, this place rocks! I met some really great people there, and I made friends for life.

Aloha!:cool:

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I have been researching flight schools for some time and have heard some good things about Westwind. Are you an instructor there or working for the charter operation now?

Didn't Westwind get bought out by Pan Am? This is what Pan Am told me. ??

I visited Pan Am in Arizona. I'm starting next March if everything goes well. :)

Mikie

YES............AND..............NO......

Mike,

The old Westwind (Westwind Acadamey) was bought-out by Pan-Am. However, the new Westwind (Westwind School of Aeronautics) was formed after the buy-out. I'm not sure on the exact details of this transaction. Both schools are really good.

Crabtree,

I am flying for a Part 135 operation in Hawaii. However, if I didn't get the job I have now, I would have done the instuctor route at Westwind.

Aloha!

Re: YES............AND..............NO......

402driver said:
Mike,

The old Westwind (Westwind Acadamey) was bought-out by Pan-Am. However, the new Westwind (Westwind School of Aeronautics) was formed after the buy-out. I'm not sure on the exact details of this transaction. Both schools are really good.

Aloha!

I see... that makes sense. Thanks for the info. :) By the way my wife and I got married in Hawaii (June 2000). It's so awesome there!

Mikie

Thanks

Hey thanks for the replies. Sounds like they are somewhat reputable. I just had some doubts because Westwind does not figure in MEI in the cost, it is extra, and there is a guaranteed instructor postion for everyone graduating.
Perhaps I need to schedule a visit to check it out more!

Latest resources

Back