• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wanna fly "Air America Style" !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any contact info on agencies that hire ferrypilots or do they usually work independently ?

TurboS7, any other place than Angola or the military, where one could fly C-130's or any other kind of big C-... ?

:D

TurboS7, give me voice !

TurboS7, have you actually been in Angola ?
So all that stuff about the tracers and SAM's is true, huh ?
What's the name of the outfit down there anyway ?

Any other place, where one can fly C-130's and other C's ?
Well, besides the military of course.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

hotshot95,

If you like short dirt strips try to research companies in Alaska. I'm told there is C130 outfit that has a run to the far east from there and there is some DC6 outfits that haul fuel oil also. I don't know personally but I've flown with Alaska pilots and they have some pretty interesting stories that sound like the type of flying that interests you. Good Luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

That's not being negative; it's being realistic. Don't wait until you're there to realize it ain't Kansas, any more.

Specify your experience, in order to properly identify areas that might be within the scope of your qualification.

I would watch my butt if you try south america. I did some flying as an aircrew out of Panama and flew all over Columbia and other parts of South America. Their military down their shoot first and usually don't bother to ask any questions. Also there is a lot of jungle. Just remember it's a different world outside of the US try Alaska!

The military doesn't tend to shoot (generally speaking), but the rebel groups and factions do. There is a difference. (Albeit slight, in some countries).

FYI, "Columbia" is spelled Colombia, maybe that is the reason you were being shot at, Colombian's have real feelings about the way you spell their country.

Hey all I know is what I saw. When we chased a small twin in country the "Colombia" military had two gunship waiting to take the plane out when it landed(and everyone around it). I didn't get to see any fireworks though because they had to return to base because of fuel. Also another crew got photos of an aircraft getting wasted. I never had any encounters with rebel (thank God) but those guys down there don't play around. :D

Sure you weren't in Peru? That sounds like RDTF, not CNP or COLAR.

In any case, yes, any work outside the US can be hazardous. If you're going to be running aircraft into remote locations, realize that a good share of the world's population is fighting. Even if they're not, realize that US citizens are NOT popular; we're Yanqui; the ugly american. Watch your back.

Locations that utilize the kind of operation in question are often high risk places. Before wanting to go play "air america," check your qualifications to determine that you're prepared.

I recently had correspondence with someone who wanted to get involved in such an operation. He assured me that he wanted adventure. I made a couple of recommendations, and he said he didn't want to get hurt or shot at. He just wanted to fly some neat airplanes. He also wanted to be rambo, without any risk or pain, and I severed contact with him. Either you're willing to face the risks, or you don't get to play. It's that simple. It's not a matter of being negative, but you do need to face the reality of what is out there.

When you get shot down and captured (if you saw the recent movie "proof of life," it was accurate, and well portrayed, but you need to multiply that by 6,000 cases annually for the country it was really intended to portray), don't count on the US embassy to help. Don't count on anybody to help. The reality is that for all the adventure and perceived glory, your greatest trial will be getting from the airport to the motel in country; your highest risk is becoming a political casualty or a kidnap victim. It happens a LOT. It doesn't matter much where you go, either.

If you want dirt airstrips, fly from Talkeetna to the back country, or go fly on the Navajo res. Fly in Idaho, for that matter; you can face as much beauty, adventure, and risk there as anywhere. If you go abroad looking for adventure, you'll likely find it, but based on your responses, it will certainly be more than you bargain for. Good luck!!

Some leads you may want

Lynden Air Cargo is the operator in Alaska using the C-130's. Northern Air Cargo and Air Cargo Express utilize the DC-6,7 and C-46. Look into Maldivian Air Taxi located in the Maldives. They fly the twin otter on floats. Kenn Borek Air in Canada does the hiring for these folks. The flying in Colombia requires aerial application experience and they are operating a souped-up turbine thrush, OV-10's and they have some transport planes. You have to be capable of speaking spanish as well. You should also look into flying the Idaho backcountry. However, these operators don't pay very well($20-25/tach hour). You will get plenty of " Air America" style flying only you'll be flying a beat up cessna 206. The airstrips in Idaho go from 4,000 ft. grass/dirt strips to 600 ft. goat trails in the bottom of a canyon with a river on one side and 50-100 ft. pines on the other. Mile High airstrip is a mile high, has a 30% grade, is a one way strip and you only get 540 feet to use. If anything else this type of flying will get you prepared for something a little more adventurous. If you happen to be European, can speak French and Portugese and have tailwheel time you should talk with Zimex. They operate the PC-6 Pilatus Porter(The ones Air America used) and C-130 throughout Northern Africa supporting the oil exploration industry. Good luck and if you find something let me know through a private message.

Latest resources

Back