W.I.A Funding update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ultrarunner

I thought I pass along my update as far as getting my W.I.A. funds, so here you go:

I was furloughed Nov. 1. I called the state director of the program a few weeks prior to that and he put me in touch with the director in my local area. He asked of me that I keep him updated as to how fast I progressed through the process. He then put me in touch with the local job center, where I made an appointment with a counselor. That appt. occured on Nov 28, and lasted 30 minutes where basically they determine your classification....displaced or not. Naturally, as airline employees, we easily pass the test to get classified as displaced.

FYI, non-displaced usually results in a funding cap of 5 grand, not so if classified as displaced.

I went into this meeting with all my ducks in a row....FSI and SimuFlite couse outlines, resume, potential job contacts, etc... The counselor could not have been more helpful.

At the end of the meeting, she says that my file is basically put into a pile, and expect a call from a local career placement center that the local agency outsources to. You really don't get a time frame. I was told that some people wait up to one month or more, but your potential in placement can effect that time.

As it happed I was called 2 weeks later. During this time, I pretty much had to get a handle on what type of training to do. Not being interested in SWA, the 73 type made no sense, but I still wanted to be practical and maximize my P-T job opportunity, so I pretty much decided on recurrent training in a couple jets that I am typed and reasonably current in. I got in touch with FSI and SF reps, got couse outlines, pricing quotes, etc....

Additionally, I got letters from two opporators that I have worked with in the past, that stated, "...should I receive this training.....there is work for this person...." Let me tell you folks, if you can secure this type of committment you are literally "fast tracked" to funds.

So at this point, the local Career center is takes my info...you have to provide some specific info such as which training facility you wish to attend, class dates, length of course. You also sign a statement that says you "...agree to complete the training..."

The career center fills out an invoice, and along with that, sends the rest of the info to you local job center. When the job center signs off on it your packed is then sent back to the career center, which forwards the funds to the training facility. And there you go.

Right now I have one more letter to get to the career center, and my packet will be "sent over" to the job center. I didn't screw around in that I requested fuding for three different courses of training (three recurrents at SimuFlight). I spent some time educating the career counselor the specifics of recurrent training, FAA requirements for flying jets, etc...The counselor was really interested, and said to me that it was refreshing to have someone come in knowing exactly what they want to do.

She's told me to expect a few weeks for it all to be processed. So right now, it's all about timing. This process is quicker that I thought, and recalls have just started at our airline, so I'm going to attempt to get through all three schools in February. I'm thinking a March recall for me, but there are no guarantees of that so I'll grab the funds and head to training. I'll keep you all posted.

BTW, I am a New York State resident.

Ultrarunner

Where did you hear that recalls are starting at ME? Just curious because I have heard nothing. I hope you are right though.

Midex recalls

Devine9drive, it's been previously posted by someone on the inside, I believe at the yahoo board. The source is from V.P. Flight Ops. The letters go out next week, I believe 30 or 35 for a Feb 2 start date.

Hey Ultra,

I have a question regard the WIA funds for NY. I am also a resident of NY on L.I. and I spoke with a councler and what they tell me is I cannot get those funds. I explained your posting to see what she would could do. The councler wanted to know which of the WIA funds were you being approved from, there are multiple funds to be approved from which make up WIA? Secondly FlightSafety nor Simuflite are on the list of approved vendors for NY. Are you in the process of getting one of these listed? She wanted to see if there was another way she did not know about to help. Any info would be appreciated. I am going in on the 2nd to speak with a councler on the subject in person. I wanted to have all the details on how you were able to get as far as you did. I like to have my ducks in order as well for something like this..

Thanx

Deltoid

Deltoid said:
Hey Ultra,

I have a question regard the WIA funds for NY. I am also a resident of NY on L.I. and I spoke with a councler and what they tell me is I cannot get those funds.

What specifically did they tell you the reason you could not get these funds??? What is specifically because FSI or SimuFlite is are not yet approved training facilities in NYS? Or was there another explanation?

Some training, as was explained to me is "demand based training", meaning that it is very specific training where facilities may not likely be on the approved list. I was told that this should not be a problem. Especially since SimuFlite has started the process for NYS approval.

As far as "which W.I.A. funds" I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. If you read the W.I.A, funds are awared in three different classifications, but it's all W.I.A. money, and is part of the W.I.A. act. I suspect this is what you are speaking of. I'll let you pull up the WIA and read the classifications.

Ultra,

As far as this councler mentioned there are a couple of different funds such as V.A. Funds and others that all together make up the WIA Fund. She stated so far I don't fall into any of those type of funds. There was no mention of "demand type training" for schools which are not on the approved list. It may be a case she is not up on this stuff as yours is but she is open to ideas as how it may be done. Thats why any detail info in how you did this will help so I may explain to her how I might fit in. Thanx for getting back to me.

Joe

Deltoid said:
Ultra,

As far as this councler mentioned there are a couple of different funds such as V.A. Funds and others that all together make up the WIA Fund. She stated so far I don't fall into any of those type of funds. There was no mention of "demand type training" for schools which are not on the approved list. It may be a case she is not up on this stuff as yours is but she is open to ideas as how it may be done. Thats why any detail info in how you did this will help so I may explain to her how I might fit in. Thanx for getting back to me.

Joe

Well dude, I suspect you're not talking with who you need to. As I said in my original post, call the state dir. and get in touch with the local director. That is what I did. Nothing special. However, I was VERY specific in saying that I wanted funds from the W.I.A. act, as provided to "displaced workers" and had all my ducks in a row with respect to that.

Talk to you local director. Remember, MOST, but not all of these people, are more educated in providing retraining for cosmotologists, welders, truck drivers, etc....

keep me posted.

Latest resources

Back