Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ten year UAL A320 captain is $134.
Ten year Spirit A320 captain is $138.

Spirit had to strike to get $5/hr more than VA rates. VA has not been a round nearly long enough, nor is big enough, to have a negative effect on other airline pay rates. And we are in the ballpark with two legacies, and an LCC that just had to strike to get into that ballpark.

VA rates are not great, we all recognize that. But they are not out of line with the industry and are quite reasonable for an airline just just started year three of operations. The pay rates will come up in time, just like they did for JetBlue.

Come on NOW!!!! it does Not matter what the HOURLY IS!!
What counts it the take home. Benefits, insurance, retirement, sick time, vacation, scheduling. all those add up.
how much cash for how much time from home. Compare apples to apples.

Anyone got the scoop on hiring at virgin?? Any more classes this year?

I think we are hiring 18 a month for at least two more years. VA is adding 6 planes between october and december 2010 (2 or 3 are already online). After that, VA has financed and secured 22 additional airbus deliveries at a rate of about one per month through 2012. After those 22 aircraft VA has an MOU for forty additional airbus's and options for 20 more on top of that. The MOU aircraft are not a done deal yet. They aren't financed -- they aren't a firm order. My uneducated guess is the MOU airplanes will get funding via a VA IPO in late 2012 or early 2013. That is just a guess on the part of a line pilot so take it for what it's worth.

Right now, VA has 31 planes flying. We have firm orders and deliveries planned to bring the fleet size to 55 aircraft. Then we have that MOU (pie in the sky plan) set up with airbus to bring our fleet up to 95 to 115 airplanes. With our current delivery schedule anyone hired before we reached 28 planes will upgrade by the end of 2012. Anyone hired after the 28 plane mark better hope VA turns the MOU with airbus into firm orders.

VA is supposed to turn an operating profit for 2010 and a real life profit in 2011. Management says we are track and ahead of most financial goals set before launch (why would they say anything else?). When I first got hired it was common knowledge that we wouldn't have the economy of scale to go profitable until somewhere between 30 and 40 airplanes. High oil prices in 2008 and then the ownership red herring in 2009 slowed us down a bit, but it looks like things are on track now. We'll see. Our financial data is held really close so no one really knows how good we are doing except the board of directors.

Spirit had to strike to get $5/hr more than VA rates. VA has not been a round nearly long enough, nor is big enough, to have a negative effect on other airline pay rates. And we are in the ballpark with two legacies, and an LCC that just had to strike to get into that ballpark.

VA rates are not great, we all recognize that. But they are not out of line with the industry and are quite reasonable for an airline just just started year three of operations. The pay rates will come up in time, just like they did for JetBlue.

I got to go inside one of the planes a while back. I didn't actually ride but I thought it looked really nice inside. Airbus is pretty nice to begin with, but the interior on that thing was really nice.

I got to go inside one of the planes a while back. I didn't actually ride but I thought it looked really nice inside. Airbus is pretty nice to begin with, but the interior on that thing was really nice.

I thought it looked like a sleazy strip club when I got in the plane.

Yes, I like that...

I thought it looked like a sleazy strip club when I got in the plane.

Yes, I like that...

That was my initial impression as well. Since then I have had the unfortunate opportunity to ride home on many of our red eye flights. The blue to deep purple to pink transition during the red eye really helps prevent that morning groggy feeling.

I really hate it on other airline red eyes when the bright white cabin lighting is suddenly turned on. There ain't enough coffee in the world to overcome that insult!

That was my initial impression as well. Since then I have had the unfortunate opportunity to ride home on many of our red eye flights. The blue to deep purple to pink transition during the red eye really helps prevent that morning groggy feeling.

I really hate it on other airline red eyes when the bright white cabin lighting is suddenly turned on. There ain't enough coffee in the world to overcome that insult!

Now if we, and every other airline, could disable the BRIGHT individual lights on all redeyes! I can't stand these self-centered idiots who insist on turning on their overhead reading lights when just about EVERYONE ELSE on the plane is trying to sleep! Get a battery-powered clamp-on book light for crisakes!

Top Spirit pay tops out at $185/hr.

That's about 50k per year more.

VA has not been a round nearly long enough, nor is big enough, to have a negative effect on other airline pay rates.

I'm not going to argue JetBlue vs Virgin rates since JB paid $85/hr when everyone else was paying $200+/hr.

BUT....

our COO in his last conference call mentioned how your payrates were going to be included in our peer set since soon you'll be a "major" airline. So your payrates absolutely and directly affect ours.

Latest resources

Back