Veiled threat is lead article on xjt.com

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

Maybe I've missed others, but this is the first time I've seen an industry news article posted as the "headline" article for us to read. Seems a little mafia-like, if you ask me.

United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL)?s plan to furlough 685 flight attendants shows how the world?s second-largest carrier still struggles with multiple labor contracts more than three years after its creation in a merger. The furloughs, effective April 1, involve employees from the former stand-alone United Airlines, Megan McCarthy, a spokeswoman, said in an interview today. At the same time, new attendants are being hired to work on planes from the former Continental Airlines, the other half of the combined company.
The disparity stems from the lack of a single labor agreement covering all attendants at the Chicago-based airline, hampering efforts to boost efficiency and cut $2 billion from annual operating costs. Some other union workers also remain on separate contracts following the 2010 merger between UAL Corp., the parent of the old United, and Continental Airlines Inc.
?The $2 billion savings target is not a foregone, easy solution,? said Savanthi Syth, a Raymond James Financial Inc. analyst in St. Petersburg, Florida. ?Having those two groups separate does complicate things.?

I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to furlough us before the vote. Anyone remember back in 2006 when they started transferring our 700's to Skywest? Charlie and Scott came out with a memo in the summer that said they predicted a "surplus" of pilots by Nov-Dec and that furloughs were being looked at. Then, kind of unpredicted, lots of major started hiring and we found ourselves short staffed, hiring, and no more transfers taking place, and no mention of it again. Funny.

Maybe I've missed others, but this is the first time I've seen an industry news article posted as the "headline" article for us to read. Seems a little mafia-like, if you ask me.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Just pitting the employee groups against each other in case they need to furlough.

They didn't put the comments section in it either so we could say things like, "usairways has separate contracts and record profits".

Latest resources

Back