• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vanguard Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Would love to work for them. I have sent them a resume every 2 months in hopes of hearing something from them. My guess is they are getting flooded with resumes from higher time pilots right now. I will continue to send them off and hopefully wait for my shot at an interview.

Thanks for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

AWACoff said:
Is Part 25 Transport Category 121 SIC time transferable on a 1 for 1 basis for PIC 121 or is it a percentage (ie 1000 SIC equals 500 PIC)?

There is a conversion factor, but I haven't been told what it is. Expect a three to one or four to one ratio, since this conversion factor is intended to give long time F/O's credit for their experience in the industry.

Vanguard is still having trouble getting pilots to class. This is a rough estimate - based on observation alone. They receive tons of resumes (on the order of ten to fifteen a day), send out applications to probably a quarter of them (unbelievable how many woefully inexperienced pilots still send in resumes - in spite of the publicly stated hiring minimums and their commitment not to deviate from them), and call half of those for interviews. Probably no more than half of those called make it in for the interview (for a number of reasons), three quarters get offered a sim check, and three quarters of those get put in the hiring pool. The pool gets drained to the tune of 30% a month by people getting other jobs. When offered a class date, only about three quarters of the pilots called accept, and when the classes start someone fails to show up in about every other class.

So - if my math is right - in the best of months four qualified pilots a week make it to the show. Vanguard has been running, and will continue to run, two classes a month for six to eight new hires. They are obviously just making it with the staffing. Anyone who meets the minimums, doesn't come off as too big of a loser in an interview, can fly a basic profile in a 737/MD-80/727 sim, pass a background check, and show up for class should get hired. So - get going.

njcapt,

Can pilots at Vanguard make extra $ for picking up trips on days off? Is that paid at regular unit rate, above guarantee?

Do you know if the company contributes to insurance costs? 401K?

Can you make a career at Vanguard?

Also, is it correct that the 737's are on the way out?

Thanks.

Yes.

Just kidding. Yes, right now lots of open time exists - due mostly to the staffing shortages I mentioned before. I picked up a couple of FLL turns that have my pay up over 100 units this month.

The company pays about half the cost of health insurance and contributes a share into your 401k fund. I can't remember the exact match.

The 737's are slowly going away. As of May, we will have only four of them, while the MD-80 fleet will continue to grow.

Thanks for the info njcapt.

With the reduction of the 737 fleet, do you know if all new hires will go to the MD80?

Also, what does a senior capt max out at Vanguard?

Got a question!

I sent out my resume and cover letter to Vanguard and just got an application in the mail today. I know, fill it out and send it in, right?

Here is the catch. It was accompanied by a letter that says to send in the application when I have met the minimums. I currently do not have an ATP or 1000 hours PIC, however, I have all of the other requirements plus, I have passed the ATP written, and am currently employed by a part 121 air carrier with 1000 hours of SIC. Do I send it in?

Appreciate the help. Especially interested in hearing from anyone at Vanguard.

Thanks.

TSAV8TOR-

Quick question, when did you first start sending in your resume and how often. How long ago was it since you last sent one. Just curious, I sent my resume via e-mail on March 27th haven't received anything yet.

Thanks

TSAV8TOR said:
I currently do not have an ATP or 1000 hours PIC, however, I have all of the other requirements plus, I have passed the ATP written, and am currently employed by a part 121 air carrier with 1000 hours of SIC. Do I send it in?

Thanks. [/B]

Get the ATP then send it in. See the post above for a discussion on the SIC to PIC conversion. If you are close on the other times (not five hundred hours away, Chief), go for it.

Do they require a type rating? If so, who
pays for it. Also curious if they start new
hires in the 737 or not.

Vanguard does not require a type. Depending on what the need is will depend on whether you are assigned the B737 or the MD80. Most newhire classes are in the MD80.

Latest resources

Back