Value of 121 FO time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freight Dog

I hope this doesn't rub some people the wrong way especially now that there are so many of my fellow pilots out on furlough, but I'm having a little argument with my roommie and need an opinion of some older salts who've been there, done that...

Is there such thing as too much FO time when applying to the majors? This is an argument I'm having with my roommie. I'd rather be flying and getting more hours and experience, while he wants to fly as little as he can as an FO until he upgrades and then he intends to cram as much flying as possible. He says that FO time is worthless. The aircraft in question is a Dash 8.

Before any flaming starts, we realize how lucky we are to have jobs right now, this is just a house debate.

What do yas think?

Total time is total time. Last time I checked, multi-engine turbine time was looked at a as a good thing. PIC turbine time is obviuosly more valuable when applying to the majors but I know of 2 FOs from Lakes that got hired to TWA without any PIC turbine time. Definitely the exception though.

Unfortunately, with many qualified pilots out of work..including myself...JET PIC time and Glass experience is more important than F/O time in a heavy aircraft. Been laid off since November...have 8700 hours of PIC time...but only 300 PIC JET...I have 3,000 hours of F/O Jet. Supply and Demand...and right now...supply is abundant.:(

I'm not one of those older dogs out there, but I don't understand why your roommate is adverse to aquiring F/O time? Obviously PIC turbine time is golden, no question, but why would anyone think that F/O time would hurt you in applying to a major? It can only help to bump up your total time. Not to mention it gives you experience and the opportunity to learn from others.

Now, if you pass on a Captain upgrade, that's another story. But in today's market, I imagine a lot of folks are acquiring SIC time waiting to upgrade. And when the time comes, who will the major airline hire? The pilot with little F/O time, and thus lower total time, or the pilot with a lot of F/O time, same PIC turbine time, and more total hours?

SIC time

FO time on a Dash 8 is worthless? :rolleyes: Not a flame, but Hello?! As long as it is real, legal, legit SIC time, your roommate should not scoff at it. Turbine time, instrument time and multi time does not grow on trees. People indeed start as SICs before upgrading to PICs. An old Vietnam-era pilot once told me that everyone was new once. Not many people are hired off the street as Captains with nothing.

Freightdog, I have a new angle for you. Slap your hand to your forehead and say, "You know. I now see your point. I think you are right not to get much SIC time."

That way, when the two of you apply for your next jobs, you will be a that much farther ahead of the competition.

We just had a FO here at Mesaba, he had lots of PIC turbine time, but none of it was 121. He got it all flying BE99 in Canada. He interviewed at most of the majors all of them told him to get 121 time and come back. He was here as an FO for about 5 months last year and got on at Southwest. So, 121 FO time counts for something.

Tell roomate he is right.
Build time for yourself.

When you get hired at a Major call him and offer to write a letter of rec for him.

Be sure to mention you have to ding him on judgment.

Latest resources

Back