• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways TA on RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a question, what is going to happen to all these mainline guys when (hopefully not if) they get called back? How will an airline operate if all of a sudden all your pilots leave because they have been recalled? Or will these guys have to remain in the RJ until replacements can be trained at which point they could return, but not before someone less senior goes back because he held out on furlough instead of flying an RJ?:eek:

rjcap,
Seat cost is relevant regardless of loads. Yeild is what is effected by half full aircraft. A rough example:

I don't know the actual operating cost of a CRJ. I'll use 13 cents per ASM. For a 50 seat RJ, then it cost $6.50 per air mile flown.

Using $6.50 as a base number, then a 112 seat 737 would need to have a 5.8 cent ASM cost to match the per air mile operating cost. SWA operates near that range. Overall they are higher. However, they are operating the -700's closer to the 4.5-5.0 cent ASM range. SWA can very easily put those very efficient airplanes on competing routes. They match or beat your operating cost and offer over twice the capacity.

Granted these are not hard numbers. They do illustrate my point however.

For those of you with access, the private ALPA main message board has a very large thread going on this subject in the scope section. Very interesting, with lots of varied opinions. Check it out.

Personally, I think this TA is abd for everybody!

USAir, what an orginization!

Latest resources

Back