• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flashpoint

US Airways Suspends Pilot
By JOANN LOVIGLIO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A US Airways pilot accused of making ``inappropriate'' comments at an airport security checkpoint has been suspended from his job, an airline official said Monday.

Elwood Menear, 46, will be suspended pending the outcome of an investigation, said airline spokesman David Castelveter, who declined to comment on whether that was standard company procedure. Castelveter also wouldn't say whether Menear was still receiving a paycheck.

Menear, 46, was released from jail Monday, the day after he was arrested for making what authorities said were ``inappropriate'' comments at Philadelphia International Airport. Police charged him with making terroristic threats and disorderly conduct.

Officials refused to give specifics about what he said. Sources familiar with the investigation, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, have said Menear suggested he could take down the plane without a weapon.

Menear did not return a message left Monday at his home seeking comment.

A preliminary court hearing has been scheduled for March 8.

The FBI (news - web sites) and U.S. attorney's office had not yet determined whether federal charges would be brought against Menear.

And now we shall see if ALPA has the cajones to step up to the plate.
Pay attention, those of you joining us from Herndon... your actions in the next several weeks may alter the course of ALPA for many years to come. I hope you do the right thing.

Disgrace?

I find it a disgrace that a professional pilot in charge of a multimillion dollar aircraft, responsible for the safety and comfort of at least a 100 passengers, doesn't have the wherewithal to keep his mouth shut.

We have legitimate concerns and complaints about our 'for show' security We are taking action through appropriate steps to solve these problems. Voicing those concerns to those agents in front of your bread and butter was nothing short of foolish.

S.

Are you proposing that all of us, including our union should not defend this pilot because he got fed up, lost his temper, and made a flip remark?
Gee, I hope you never get fed up someday.

I'm sitting here starting sentences only to go back and erase them. I think the pilot really screwed up even if it was an insinuation rather than a direct threat.
I think the company has to suspend him for p.r. purposes. I think the union has to defend him to maintain credibility on this issue among the dues paying pilots. I think the guy at the center of this screwed up and should be fined or suspended for awhile.
I know how frustrating it is to go through security and I'm tired of them scanning my shoes and watching me take off my belt, only to questions me about the clips I keep in my flight bag to hold the Jepp plates to the side panel. But I am also INTENSELY aware of the line of passengers behind me that are watching the moves I make and my reaction to my inconvenience.

S.

Beechnut said:
Disgrace?

I find it a disgrace that a professional pilot in charge of a multimillion dollar aircraft, responsible for the safety and comfort of at least a 100 passengers, doesn't have the wherewithal to keep his mouth shut.

We have legitimate concerns and complaints about our 'for show' security We are taking action through appropriate steps to solve these problems. Voicing those concerns to those agents in front of your bread and butter was nothing short of foolish.

S.
Some pilots are sick and tired to go thru "security" and having to remove shoes and belts etc,etc one is human and can be push so far before exploding. So don't be so hasty to judge.
I think the Faa is once again overreacting and it is the pilots that are paying the price as usual.

Beechnut said:
I am also INTENSELY aware of the line of passengers behind me that are watching the moves I make and my reaction to my inconvenience.

That's an excellent point.
However, I think we can all agree that this guy was just being a wise arse. They didn't need to throw the book at him. We need to show the FAA and the Justice Dept that we aren't going to be made examples of anymore.

Beechnut-

I find it a disgrace that a professional pilot in charge of a multimillion dollar aircraft, responsible for the safety and comfort of at least a 100 passengers, can't be treated with the respect and admiration HE DESERVES. When he opens his mouth people should shut up and listen... THAT MEANS YOU. It's obvious that a lot of people are offended by your remarks. Airline Captains do not attain their positions through the level of discipline it takes to get hired by Argenbright, but rather it is acquired by years of blood, sweet, and tears... Do you think Airline Pilot's would be where they're at today "if they kept their mouth's shut?" You obviously have no respect for a job that requires instantaneous decision making that at times that can decide the fate of hundreds of people in a single second. No wonder the term wash out exists. As former President Theodore Roosevelt said-

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or WHERE THE DOER OF DEEDS COULD HAVE DONE THEM BETTER. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweet and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and short coming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worse, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Last edited:
How is that security puke suppose to know you are a legit pilot?

Well, for starters because your're usually with your crew when you go through security, everybody's got their credentials, and when YOU SAY SOMETHING OUT OF COMMON SENCE LIKE CAPTAIN MENEAR DID HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WITH MORE THEN A JUNIOR HIGH EDUCATION CAN UNDERSTAND!@#!!!!

WHAT PART OF THE FACT THAT SOME OF THE MUSLIM FANATICS HAD FAKE PILOT CREDENTIALS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

Well, for a great picture of a muslim fanactic, click here.

THE GUY SHOULD HAVE BIT HIS FREAKIN TONGUE

Read the Roosevelt quote above.

But hey, he is senior to me so maybe I'll move up a number.

Better hope ALPA doesn't have yours.

If its a hot babe at the security check point, hope she strip searches me, it'll make her day.

Need I comment. Enough idiosy for one night, as I'm off to bed.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back