• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dashtrasher

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways Launches MidAtlantic Airways
Friday April 2, 10:00 am ET
Initial Service from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to Begin April 4

ARLINGTON, Va., April 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- MidAtlantic Airways, US Airways' new regional jet division, will take flight April 4, with initial routes from both Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. MidAtlantic will operate using US Airways' newest 72-seat Embraer 170 regional jets.
MidAtlantic, currently based in Pittsburgh, will have three Embraer 170 regional jets operating on eight routes in April, increasing to 13 in May, and with 24 routes expected by June, as MidAtlantic continues to take delivery of the Embraer 170 aircraft.

MIDATLANTIC ROUTE NETWORK
Initial Nonstop Roundtrip Service Beginning April 4, 2004

Pittsburgh Philadelphia
Albany, N.Y. Kansas City, Mo.
Atlanta Syracuse, N.Y.
Boston
Nashville
Newark, N.J.
Syracuse, N.Y.

Additional Nonstop Roundtrip Markets Starting May 2, 2004

Pittsburgh Philadelphia
Buffalo, N.Y.* Buffalo, N.Y.*
Kansas City, Mo. Nashville
Philadelphia Pittsburgh

MidAtlantic will operate flights from Buffalo to Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but not outbound from the hubs.
"We are very excited to welcome MidAtlantic and its brand-new fleet of 72- seat regional aircraft to the US Airways Express network," said US Airways Express President Bruce Ashby. "These larger regional jets bring us a range of fleet planning opportunities, as they fill the gap between 50-seat and 120- seat fleet types, allowing us to better match supply in existing markets. They also will enable us to add flights in markets US Airways currently does not serve."

MidAtlantic is the U.S. launch customer of the Embraer 170 regional jet. By year-end, the airline expects to take delivery of 39 aircraft, manufactured by Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica of Brazil, as part of US Airways' regional jet order announced in May 2003.

To maximize cabin spaciousness without compromising storage area, the Embraer 170 features an elliptical, or 'double-bubble,' cross-section instead of the traditional circular fuselage. The double-bubble geometry uses intersecting circles, tied together by the fuselage floor, providing superior passenger comfort in the form of a larger passenger cabin with maximized cabin width at shoulder level, which offers more room around the passengers' shoulders and feet, eliminates the middle seats and facilitates access to overhead baggage bins.

Under a "Jets for Jobs" agreement with US Airways' pilots, 100 percent of MidAtlantic's flying will be done by furloughed US Airways pilots. MidAtlantic flight attendant positions are also filled by furloughed US Airways flight attendants. MidAtlantic currently has 244 employees, 229 of which had been previously furloughed by US Airways.

MidAtlantic Airways, a division of US Airways Group, Inc., currently operates 16 flights daily, serving nine destinations in the eastern U.S. The airline, based in Pittsburgh, has a total of 244 employees.

This is a dark, dark day in the history of ALPA and of the pilot profession. I am ashamed to be a member of US Airways ALPA. These are 15-year US Airways pilots that were sold on $100k "soft landing" career positions who instead are paid less than mainline cleaners, around 50k. Sold down the river is more like it. Wait 'till the 100-seat EMB-190 comes on line to outsource our 737 flying. They'll probably pay 55k for that job. With the full acquiescence of the US Airways MEC.

O.k., I'm waiting for the A330 captain to flame me and tell me how I'm ruining the company.

I'm amazed that the U MEC didn't demand that the E-170's be put on mainline in exchange for accepting sub-standard wages. Then at least down the road the salaries could be brought up to a professional level. I get the impression from Us Airways Alpa that they are just doing whatever it takes to keep the thing going a couple more years regardless of what happens to the junior guys (<15years). The sad thing in my opinion is that after selling out the lower half of his seniority list, Beebe got rewarded with a top level job at Alpa national. Hopefully the new guy Pollock is a little more of a team player.

Now all of the USair pilot group can see what a self serving MEC they have. They have been selling out the wholly owned's for decades. Is it a surprise that they are selling out there own pilot group? It is not a surprise to me.

B1900DFO said:
I'm amazed that the U MEC didn't demand that the E-170's be put on mainline in exchange for accepting sub-standard wages. /B]

Uhhhhh. The 170s are on the mainline certificate.

Mainline cert? Now I'm confused. They got this certificate started to put furloughed mainline guys in RJ's cheaper than the other whollyowns. But they are still on the mainline cert? Are these guys being represented by USAir mainline ALPA, or are they non-union, just for the sake they can fly again. You all wonder why that place is a mess. Also, who purchased/leased the 170 and the 700? If both are USAir, why are they spending more money to support two types? It seems they have always had every type on property at any given time. Are they still flying those F-100's?

Latest resources

Back