US Airways Express gear up in ICT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-handle

On CNN this evening, I saw footage of a nosegear up landing BE-1900 by a US Airways Express carrier in Wichita, KS.

It showed the nosegear collapsing with the engines winding down in feather, skidding to a halt and it looked like the prop tips were sparking towards the end of the deceleration. Then the trucks were spraying it down as the pax were evacuating on the left side, I believe. Appeared everyone was able to walk away without injury.

Great job to the crew for minimizing the damage and keeping it under control!

i've flown with that captain, and like 99% of our other capts, he is top-notch. great job

upndsky said:
There's a video of the landing at http://www.msnbc.com/local/KSNW/M183707.asp?0ct=-302&cp1=1.

Looks like the crew did a great job. The only painful part of watching the video is having to listen through the drivel of the local reporter.

Thanks for the link. My favorite part is the headline: "Air Midwest jet lands safely..." right under the picture of the nose section and the prop. MSNBC should be ashamed!

Man... if I had know that I actually had 1400 hours of JET PIC I could've skipped the whole ATR thing and gone to a major a few years sooner...then I wouldn't be furloughed right now! Man... if only I knew!

... as and add on... watched the video and just wanted to compliment the crew on an excellent job!

Last edited:
CA1900...I don't see anything wrong with calling it a safe landing...everyone exited the aircraft SAFELY afer LANDING, therefore its a SAFE LANDING. Just my opinion.

I think the problem was the use of the term "jet". Like all news reporters, they seem to know nothing when it comes to aviation.

And speaking of MSNBC...I will never forget their "aviation expert" while going over the flight track of United Flight 93, explaining how he would disable an airliner to keep it from reaching it's destination.
He said, " I would just open the emergency exit and cause a rapid decompression. There's no way that aircraft would reach it's destination." YEAH, RIGHT!!!

And I'll add my kudos to the crew for a great job.

P.S. Must be something about Wichita. I was there on Saturday when an America West A320 diverted there with some sort of hydraulic failure. They ferried in another plane to take the passengers on to PHX.

P.S. Must be something about Wichita. I was there on Saturday when an America West A320 diverted there with some sort of hydraulic failure. They ferried in another plane to take the passengers on to PHX. [/B][/QUOTE]

Man you are right about ICT,I was jumpseating from SAN to ORD and we had to divert to ICT for medical emergency.
And great job to the 1900 crew.

Latest resources

Back