• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways abuse of furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been offered the jumpseat 3 times since furlough, twice on DAL and once on CMR. Easy to understand, esp since the ID clearly says, "Jumpseat Authorized." Turned it down each time, as I'm concerned that you're actually violating FAR's if you jumpseat knowing you're not authorized. Maybe/maybe not, but it wasn't worth the risk to me.

MD FO

New CEO

I am very optimistic with our new CEO Dave Seigal. He certainly has gotten good reviews and the things I have listened to on the ASPEN are very positive.

I know Chris Beebe has his ear and I'm confident we will see some changes soon.

USair

I too remain causiously optomistic with the new CEO. He does have some significant problems to over some. relations with labor are very hard right now. With J4J falling apart around the seems it appears we are far from out of the woods as in ref to RJ's. and we still have a cash loss problem. I am glad being in a wo that he is not a fan of mesa. And he has anounced within 30 days he will have his new team and bussiness plan ready. Can't wait to hear what he has to say.

mandown and KC-10 Driver,

I am mystified by those who severely berate their employer but won't move on. It reminds me of the old joke about the blue juice technician who was complaining about his terrible day at the bar. When someone suggested he quit, he resplied "What? And get out of AVIATION?!"

zeeman described USAirways as
careless
negligen[t]
a joke of a company
useless
abusers

Now if it is idiocy to resign a seniority number, what is your definition of staying on with such a company when you have no faith in the grievance process working?

If you can't be true to yourself, to whom can you be true?

Andy,

I have a wife and three small children to support, so I can't afford to resign from the only (potential) regular employment that I have right now. I'm lucky because I'm an AF reservist -- a lot of my fellow furloughees don't have even that.

However, for your information, I have a SWA interview in two days. If SWA chooses to offer me a job, I will move on. Until then I will hold on to my seniority at US Airways.

By the way, I have never seriously berated my employer anywhere on this board. I only said that many of us would resign seniority for a good company. US Airways was a good job, but there are better out there, I think.

So, I am true to myself, and my family.

KC-10 Driver,

Congrats on the interview, Brother! Good luck at SWA!!

Your reply to Mr. Neill was very well stated. It was a privilege working with you. Let's hope for our friends who still are employed that the new CEO walks as well as he talks.

We may be lucky being some of the first out--for their sake, let's hope not.

Regards,

Postflight
CLT
12/02/01

Andy,

Like KC-10 driver I have never "severely berated my employer"; and I will move on when the opprotunity presents itself. In the mean time, what good would resigning my senority number do now? Resigning now would do nothing for me, or anyone else out there unless it is for another job.

US Air may not be the best place to work for (depends on your perspective) but they treated me great until December. That is just business, maybe bad business, but just business.

Certainly does raise a question though. I was with USAir for a little over 3 years (01/99 DOH) and have an interview with a large Regional this morning. I have no way of knowing whether I'll be hired, but if I am they do require the resignation of seniority.

Regardless of the future of US Airways (none of us have a crystal ball) that will be the toughest decision that I, or anyone else I suspect, will ever have to make. It is an emotional decision as much as anything else.

I still do not know what I will do. I suspect I will have to talk with my wife and make the decision with all of the information I have. If that means sitting to the right of a young captain for 5 years or more, then gear-up, clear right, I'll take the chicken.

A man has to take care of his family first and foremost.

-Mike

Recently on-line,
I heard a furloughed Airways guy was trying to JS on us (PDT) and the agent would not let him downstairs. The captain tried to help, but the agent wouldn't budge. Most of us don't have a problem with a furloughee riding JS with an open seat in the cabin. I think if you can make it past the agent, the flight crews will try to help. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back