• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US air thanks but no thanks letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have not heard a thing. I guess no news is good news.....that confuses me. I would like an interview.....some where-anywhere....Bueller.....bueller...

Me 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you stop to think that you guys were a little too competitive. If you have lots of TPIC Time, then old insecure USAir may be scared that you guys will bolt for the BBD the first chance you get. Unfortunately, your excellent experience may just be working against you here. Did either one of you happen to have your 737 type? That has also been known to be the kiss of death at certain Airlines as well. Still sorry to hear about the rejection though.

Did you stop to think that you guys were a little too competitive. If you have lots of TPIC Time, then old insecure USAir may be scared that you guys will bolt for the BBD the first chance you get. Unfortunately, your excellent experience may just be working against you here. Did either one of you happen to have your 737 type? That has also been known to be the kiss of death at certain Airlines as well. Still sorry to hear about the rejection though.

Yes I did think of that. And no, I do not have a 737 type. That said, I've been at my regional for 8 years. I want out. USAirways was never my 1st, 2nd or 6th choice. The fact is that they are hiring, and a little optimism on my part about them improving their awful family feud; and their abysmal contract, was enough to get me to apply. Since there are applicants "far more qualified than I to interview", I say good luck and have at it. I will not be applying again. If I've got to keep waiting then I'll keep waiting for a place that I don't have to have so much optimism for.

I have not heard of any of the wholly owned pilots getting that letter. So maybe there is something to be said for working at PDT and PSA...

Well, here is the deal. There are a lot of the same issues involved here master shake. There are not a lot of spots available for the airlines who are hiring. I have applied at a few and have not heard anything positive and I have much the same qualifications as you do-I am even a Veteran so I thought that was a plus. But all aside, what we need to understand is that until the all the majors are hiring a couple hundred a year each-we need to deal with the following.

-Nepotism-having family at airlines or having multiple letters of recommendations.
-Diversity-do I need to say more? Heck Virgin devotes a huge section of their career site explaining how they will hire people who are not white males-do you think I am kidding? Its a good company but they are all like that with the same HR directives on who they should hire
-Chuck Yeager types. I am not an astronaut, a fighter jock, test pilot, 29 years old Academy graduate with parent who is a senator....you get the idea.

When all these are hired in the next 2-4 years, us average regional pilots who are 40 or older with a couple grand PIC and 6,000 hours total time white guys will not get hired. Yes there are exceptions.....sometimes a few fall through the cracks....

So I will keep trying-Pinnacle is not a place I want to be

Well, here is the deal. There are a lot of the same issues involved here master shake. There are not a lot of spots available for the airlines who are hiring. I have applied at a few and have not heard anything positive and I have much the same qualifications as you do-I am even a Veteran so I thought that was a plus. But all aside, what we need to understand is that until the all the majors are hiring a couple hundred a year each-we need to deal with the following.

-Nepotism-having family at airlines or having multiple letters of recommendations.
-Diversity-do I need to say more? Heck Virgin devotes a huge section of their career site explaining how they will hire people who are not white males-do you think I am kidding? Its a good company but they are all like that with the same HR directives on who they should hire
-Chuck Yeager types. I am not an astronaut, a fighter jock, test pilot, 29 years old Academy graduate with parent who is a senator....you get the idea.

When all these are hired in the next 2-4 years, us average regional pilots who are 40 or older with a couple grand PIC and 6,000 hours total time white guys will not get hired. Yes there are exceptions.....sometimes a few fall through the cracks....

So I will keep trying-Pinnacle is not a place I want to be

So usair sends you a thanks but no thanks and all of a sudden it's so hard and such a burden being white? Just remember that the huge majority of newhire majors pilots are still white males. My guess is that with your quals, they think you will be applying to delta as soon as you get done with ioe.

Well for years I was told "you don't have the pic time" and now it's "oh you've got too much pic time".

Well for years I was told "you don't have the pic time" and now it's "oh you've got too much pic time".

If youre willing to take the paycut to be a AAA FO, then make the investment and set up an appointment w/ Emerald aviation- let them prep you, go through your docs, and dispell some of the many myths going on here-
Then, patience- absolutely, there are not many hiring and you'll be in a better spot two years from now- tenacity is good, but networking and building real relationships, consistency, professionalism, etc-

It's just an initial reaction- but if you have nothing distinguishing you, you probably won't get called- so try to instruct/CA- and then realize that outsourcing went crazy and there's been probably less than a 1000 pilots hired in the last 3 years since the economic downturn- which means that 7000 hours and 3000tpic, may just not be that much-
I can say with absolute certainty that the 737 type does not hurt you, nor the amount of PIC time you got.

Too much? Really? I'd be shocked if this were determined to be true-
Remember, there's a whole lot of check airmen who have been accumulating their 700-1000 hours a year, right along with you-
No movement resets the bar-
Maybe consider overseas, or a heavy operator?? Distinguish yourself-
But the only current advice I have is show maturity, professionalism, and enough character to see your own quals in context-
Those of us who have been in the airline washing machine aren't impressed by an immature response to stagnation we're all dealing with- think the recruiter or interviewers, or select board members will be? What are the chances they've had a smooth sailing career?
Keep your head up. Press on. Make smart choices.
I predict a much better hiring outlook in just a year anyway-

But forget everything I said if you can remember to call emerald aviation- they'll know a whole lot more

Latest resources

Back