• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US air thanks but no thanks letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reject letter today. Veteran, BA Degree, 6500tt, 3800TPIC, clean record for flight and criminal.

"We are fortunate to have many well-qualified candidates. At this time, we have decided to move forward in the selection process with other candidates whose qualifications and experience fit more closely with the position.".

Who the hell am I not competitive with?????

your not competitive with guys that have less than 1000 PIC. Only calling those pilots. Just flew with an FO no recs, no ins...but had less than 1000 pic

Unlike what wave said, I know for a fact that having a ton of hours, 737 type with no hours, etc is "sometimes" not looked on in an overly favorable manner. Fact.

By who? When and where?
Why wouldn't they want to see a pilot gain experience they don't have in an airplane almost everyone has- that also further qualifies you for a good job? it shows you are pro-active and trying to keep your learning curve steep in a time of stagnation.

You have to understand- some view SWA as the best job going- most other airlines view themselves as better or equal-and saw's elite position is a very relative new development-
a direct quote from a recruiter to me: "if we don't pay enough to retain a pilot we'd like to keep, then that's a great argument to mgmt for our contract" the other side- mgmt would like to see every pilot they have on first year pay- if you leave, they replace you with a cheaper pilot.
Whether it's flight ops or mgmt recruiters, no one has much of a reason to discriminate against you for having the type- just the opposite actually- it's the pilots that leave after a few months of getting a 737 type through continental, delta, or AAA that costs them. If you already have the type- that's not a concern now.

Now will you have to explain it? Absolutely- be ready to show why you want to work where you are applying over anyone else, including SWA- but as a stand alone issue- I have never seen what you are saying prove out. Just pilots making stuff up. So show me something to make it credible-
I know Alaska used to, and maybe still do- but it's a pretty insecure company to be that silly.

Last edited:
By who? When and where?
Why wouldn't they want to see a pilot gain experience they don't have in an airplane almost everyone has- that also further qualifies you for a good job? it shows you are pro-active and trying to keep your learning curve steep in a time of stagnation.

You have to understand- some view SWA as the best job going- most other airlines view themselves as better or equal-and saw's elite position is a very relative new development-
a direct quote from a recruiter to me: "if we don't pay enough to retain a pilot we'd like to keep, then that's a great argument to mgmt for our contract" the other side- mgmt would like to see every pilot they have on first year pay- if you leave, they replace you with a cheaper pilot.
Whether it's flight ops or mgmt recruiters, no one has much of a reason to discriminate against you for having the type- just the opposite actually- it's the pilots that leave after a few months of getting a 737 type through continental, delta, or AAA that costs them. If you already have the type- that's not a concern now.

Now will you have to explain it? Absolutely- be ready to show why you want to work where you are applying over anyone else, including SWA- but as a stand alone issue- I have never seen what you are saying prove out. Just pilots making stuff up. So show me something to make it credible-
I know Alaska used to, and maybe still do- but it's a pretty insecure company to be that silly.

I respectfully disagree. I have a 737 type and no time in the airplane. It was brought up at length several times during my Atlas interview (one guy even seemed pretty pissed I had it) and I do not work at Atlas. It was not brought up at my JetBlue interview, I made it to Phase 2 with them and then was rejected 8 weeks later, about the time SWA opened up their hiring window. It was also brought up at my Virgin America interview and I wasn't hired either. I thought I had a good answer as to why I had it, but I guess nobody was buying.

The only place that didn't care about it didn't hire me, either. That place was SWA.

After my experiences (and failures) this past year, I am really regretting getting it. Again, I disagree that most every airline doesn't care about it.

your not competitive with guys that have less than 1000 PIC. Only calling those pilots. Just flew with an FO no recs, no ins...but had less than 1000 pic

There you go. Not saying it is right, just that it is happening. Many have been turned down when hiring boards see a 737 type with no time. Not that it is right, but that it is happening.

I respectfully disagree. I have a 737 type and no time in the airplane. It was brought up at length several times during my Atlas interview (one guy even seemed pretty pissed I had it) and I do not work at Atlas. It was not brought up at my JetBlue interview, I made it to Phase 2 with them and then was rejected 8 weeks later, about the time SWA opened up their hiring window. It was also brought up at my Virgin America interview and I wasn't hired either. I thought I had a good answer as to why I had it, but I guess nobody was buying.

The only place that didn't care about it didn't hire me, either. That place was SWA.

After my experiences (and failures) this past year, I am really regretting getting it. Again, I disagree that most every airline doesn't care about it.

You are obviously lying because wave hasn't heard of or seen this happening. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. However, if an airline calls you to interview then they must like what the see on paper. It costs the airline a lot resources to bring in a candidate and put them through the process. If they were so against a 737 type they would have not interviewed you in the first place. Perhaps you could benefit from an interview prep service.

Sorry to hear that. However, if an airline calls you to interview then they must like what the see on paper. It costs the airline a lot resources to bring in a candidate and put them through the process. If they were so against a 737 type they would have not interviewed you in the first place. Perhaps you could benefit from an interview prep service.

I used one for JetBlue and Southwest.

Latest resources

Back