• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS Airbus down in Birmingham

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A federal aviation official says a large UPS cargo plane has crashed near an airport in Birmingham, Ala.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen tells The Associated Press that the A300 plane crashed on approach to the airport before dawn Wednesday.
Bergen says the plane was en route from Louisville, Ky. to Birmingham.
Few other details were immediately available.
Bergen says she had no information on injuries.

In all my times operating into and out of BHM, I've never landed on 18, it's always been 6/24. Anyone know if 6/24 was closed early this morning? The winds didn't seem to particularly favor 18, plus it would have been a longer taxi, so I'm curious why they selected 18 at all.

In all my times operating into and out of BHM, I've never landed on 18, it's always been 6/24. Anyone know if 6/24 was closed early this morning? The winds didn't seem to particularly favor 18, plus it would have been a longer taxi, so I'm curious why they selected 18 at all.

It was only 4 knots of wind..... And they were coming from the North so it's easier usually to just go straight into a south runway. So that's why you'd take it.

It was only 4 knots of wind..... And they were coming from the North so it's easier usually to just go straight into a south runway. So that's why you'd take it.

I suppose so.

Undeveloped area area north of that runway and rising terrain give a night approach to that runway a bit of a black hole effect. Rest in peace.

Latest resources

Back