• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Unsafe, but Legal (or Not?)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With 9-10 miles visibility and what appears to be many options for emergency landings, I don't see why this would be an issue for an experienced pilot. When I flew VFR 135, we flew in 500-2 conditions quite often. A visibility in that range would be considered an easy day.

I personally believe this to be unsafe because it falls into the category of scud running... especially as he got further south to DKB.

Any other FARs that I am missing? Overall thoughts?

I wouldn't frame the discussion in FAR's but rather discuss the issue with the student and have them walk you through their decision making process. Ask open ended questions to help them to understand why perhaps their decision was not the correct one or to show you why it was. The issue is decision making not the FAR's.

Focus on the FAR's and am I 499' or 501' below that cloud is what drives a many people to make bad decisions under the guise of "I was legal". FAR 91.13(A) covers 50% of what you need to know about flying in two sentences, 91.3 covers everything else. The rest is just the government earning their keep, no need to over complicate things.

Leave him alone. You don't like him; he probably doesn't like you (a lot!). Grow up.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Morning everyone,

Recent scenario that I came across that I'd like some critique on from an FAR standpoint....

Private pilot without an instrument rating takes off from C89 airport and flies to DKB (during the day). When he left C89, weather at DKB was [24009KT 10SM OVC008 01/M02 A2985 RMK AO2]. Departure weather at C89 was roughly [25007KT 9SM BKN012 OVC060 01/M03 A2983 RMK AO2]. He did not get a weather briefing, but glanced at some TAFs and METARs applicable to his route of flight. By the time he actually arrived down at DKB, the ceilings increased slightly (1000 feet to 1200 feet).

I personally believe this to be unsafe because it falls into the category of scud running... especially as he got further south to DKB.

At the very least, I believe 91.103 to be in serious jeopardy because he did not become familiar with all available information concerning that flight (no standard weather briefing)..... 91.13 would probably piggyback onto that.

There were also most likely scenarios along that flight where proper altitude separation requirement over the ground/obstacles/buildings was not adhered to.

Any other FARs that I am missing? Overall thoughts?

Safe flying,
~PC
Sounds perfectly legal to me, in class G day, VFR is 1 mile clear of clouds. Is it safe, depends how well does this pilot know the area, are there lots of 2,000' antennas enroute, big hills etc.

As far as full briefing, if you got a computerized briefing, you knw as much as you will get from a guy on the phone. We don't get wx briefings in the 121 world, we get a computerized print out that covers everything on our route.

OK, i'll play and for now I'm on skyway's side.

Are you sure he is Private Pilot rated?
Are you sure he does not have an Instrument rating?
Are you sure he did not file?
How many hours do this guy have and how was that experience accumulated?

If this guy is a 45 hr Private he is probably an accident waiting to happen.
If this guy has a ton of Alaska (or other crap) time he'll be ok.

I learned the hard way that just because I wouldn't do it doesn't make it illegal or unsafe.

When I was flying 135 in Alaska that was a perfect VFR Day,
Well he's not asking about you GodPilotInThe Sky....:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back