Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

Hey - ATC guys,

Does it ever bother you, especially when you are busy, that so many pilots add such useless and unnecessary verbage to their radio calls, especially initially? I.E. instead of simply saying "United 123 flight level 230 climbing 290" as opposed to "United 123 checking in with you, climbing out of 230 for 290". I would think you know, without being told, that they are "checking in" by the nature of the transmission and I would think you know they are "with you" by the fact that they are talking to you. Or the guys who won't simply read back a frequency change and be gone. Nope...they just have to add a perfectly useless and insincere "Have a good day/ weekend/one". Where did this useless, uneccessary crap come from? Give me a simple clear radio technique without the crap from a European airline any day!

I agree. And when told "turn 20 left for traffic" you don't have to read back "for traffic." Just read back "20 left." And when asking for a sporting even score, use a little discretion. Don't break the cadence of a controller for that world cup score....especially any soccer score. :)

As to your point about freq changes. What irks me are the guys that check in with the time of day and get it wrong and have to correct....Morning chicago...er I mean afternoon...er evening chicago center....STFU! Just check in meatball.

Someday, about 10-20 years from now, we'll have CPDLC like Canada and Europe.

So, you always say the same thing on every radio call? You must fly 2 legs a day. If I fly 3-5 legs a day then my brain sometimes changes up the way I make radio calls. I keep it short in the NE and in the LAX area. But, then again…..who cares.

Pet peeve of mine also. Thought I'd add a few.
ATC says " delta 123 say your mach #" Pro pilot answers ".78" delta answers " and uh. Delta 123 indicating Mach decimal uh 78 currently , what do you need for deltas 123?"

On the meter
Got em on tcas ( or worse ) on the fish finder
Ready in sequence
Diagonal
At this time
Anyone in the pattern please advise
What do you need
Pilots that start every xmit with " and "
Flash coming at ya
Etc
Etc

Pet peeve of mine also. Thought I'd add a few.
ATC says " delta 123 say your mach #" Pro pilot answers ".78" delta answers " and uh. Delta 123 indicating Mach decimal uh 78 currently , what do you need for deltas 123?"

On the meter
Got em on tcas ( or worse ) on the fish finder
Ready in sequence
Diagonal
At this time
Anyone in the pattern please advise
What do you need
Pilots that start every xmit with " and "
Flash coming at ya
Etc
Etc

"three triple-oh on the baro"