United or American?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airgator,

What is it about the UA culture that you like vs. the US culture?

Thx.

LUAL/LCAL, for what you read on the interwebs doesn't really exist on the line. The internet animosity is orders of magnitude higher than what you see in real life. The pragmatists realize the integration of the seniority lists is done, and it's time to pull in the same direction. 99% of the guys I fly with, while they may have been "screwed" in some way in their mind, are over it and realize winning the overall game is more important. Minus the scabs, no one has the time of day for them. Everyone is happy for the most part, very few complaints on the contract. Guys are ready for 2017 though to start tweaking it to make it better.

From talking to guys at AA, you have AA/TWA still fighting with each other, now throw in USAir and AmWest and you have a generational food fight of epic proportions stewing. Plus their new contract sucks.

Guilty of selective editing you left out the other part of that quote

Now all that being said, I realize the top 4-5 airlines make the degree thing a shop stopper, so if you want to work at those place you must complete at least an on-line degree from Bubble-Bee State in Gender studies.

BTW: You mean Spirit, JB, SWA, NJ, Atlas are not reputable companies? No degree required to get hired at these places

Lol-how many people have been hired at SWA without a degree? 10? Lololol.....good luck with those odds.

LUAL/LCAL, for what you read on the interwebs doesn't really exist on the line. The internet animosity is orders of magnitude higher than what you see in real life. The pragmatists realize the integration of the seniority lists is done, and it's time to pull in the same direction. 99% of the guys I fly with, while they may have been "screwed" in some way in their mind, are over it and realize winning the overall game is more important. Minus the scabs, no one has the time of day for them. Everyone is happy for the most part, very few complaints on the contract. Guys are ready for 2017 though to start tweaking it to make it better.

From talking to guys at AA, you have AA/TWA still fighting with each other, now throw in USAir and AmWest and you have a generational food fight of epic proportions stewing. Plus their new contract sucks.

It's the same here. 99% of the guys are above the bs.

Lol-how many people have been hired at SWA without a degree? 10? Lololol.....good luck with those odds.
I only know of two, but that was out of the 6 pilots from our place who got hired there. So does that make 33% hired without a college degree at SWA. I notice you did not mention the other places I put up there, because they are not good places to get hired?

BTW: I know alot of people who interviewed with SWA who had college degrees who did not get hired.

Reality check... Best paycheck or earned by those with both degrees, and highly skilled experience. Sure there are some one offs here and there, but having a degree means tow things, you realized having one would better your life, and two, you've the ability to learn.

I think it's sad when people don't realize from the get go a degree is a show stopper. We aren't flying dirigibles any longer. If you want to be treated like and executive, paid like an executive then you should to attain the education of an executive.

Reality check... Best paycheck or earned by those with both degrees, and highly skilled experience. Sure there are some one offs here and there, but having a degree means tow things, you realized having one would better your life, and two, you've the ability to learn.

I think it's sad when people don't realize from the get go a degree is a show stopper. We aren't flying dirigibles any longer. If you want to be treated like and executive, paid like an executive then you should to attain the education of an executive.
In a sense I agree with your post, college degree is not much without experience. That is why 47% of the recent college grads are working at places like Enterprise, Starbucks and host of other high school diploma knowledge level jobs. Then to top that off they have an average of $30K of college loan debt. They cannot buy houses, there dragging down the entry level housing market. Yet people without degrees but experience in areas of market demand are finding good paying jobs. Think Welding, auto-mechanic, Nuclear Power Plant operators

Many College degrees are not preparing these indebted students with skills to get a good job.

An article in the WSJ from the 5th largest employment agency in the country.

"Another big hurdle is the widening skills deficit. At any given time, Mr. Funk says, Express has as many as 20,000 jobs the company can't fill because workers don't have the skills required. His advice to young people who are looking for a solid career is to get training in accounting (thanks to Dodd-Frank's huge expansion of paperwork), information technology, manufacturing-robotics programming, welding and engineering. He's mystified why Express has so much trouble filling thousands of information-technology jobs when so many young, working-age adults are computer literate.

He blames public schools and universities for the skills mismatch. Young people looking for a financially secure future might want to heed one of his favorite pieces of cautionary advice: "If you've got a college degree in psych, poly-sci or sociology, sorry, I can't help you find a job." He urges greater emphasis on vocational and practical skills training in schools, universities and junior colleges."

People are graduating from college with no marketable skills, yet 1,000's of good paying jobs go unfilled because no one has the skills. This fits right in with what I have saying for year, the purpose of advanced education is to give you skills that lead to a good paying job that is in demand. Well except when it comes to flying an airplane where the college degree has nothing to do with the skill set needed for the job, it is only a screening method used by uninformed HR departments.

here is link to the entire article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324492604579087044033601178.html

BTW: My Mom had 15 grandchildren, all have college degrees, except two. Those two are the highest paid of her grandchildren Skills they learned in the militarty, a pilot and an ATC.

Last edited:
BTW: My Mom had 15 grandchildren, all have college degrees, except two. Those two are the highest paid of her grandchildren Skills they learned in the militarty, a pilot and an ATC.

It's not our fault there are 13 losers in your family.

Maybe they should have chose their majors more wisely.

Last edited:
It's not our fault there are 13 losers in your family.

Maybe they should have chose their majors more wisely.
Want to turn this into a college degree thread? be glad to if you want me to.

Goddamnit, I'm gonna feed the bear here.

Army WO's excluded, how many military pilots lack a "commission-able" degree?

Latest resources

Back