• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ultralights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't flown an UL in years. Always had fun when I did. I'd be afraid now, since I fly planes over 55K, such a lite plane I might over control.

I am seriously thinking about getting back into it.

Last edited:
atlcrashpad, come on down to mcdonough and you can try my new quicksilver gt-400. at 55k, you must fly for ASA. i was there from june 2000 till october 2004.

ngsp

ngsp,
Why the -400? Is it because it's certified? How do you compare it to the Super Drifter or the Rans S-12? What else is on your list of "excellent ULs"?

the super drifter is a great plane and is still in production in limited quantities. the rans s-12 is a nice flying plane, but it is no longer available and has a tail AD that needs to be comleted. rans is producing parts basically forever. the drifter is more to my liking due to the completely open cockpit and ultralight type experience. the rans s-12, depending on the cockpit configuration, is more like a general aviation plane. i have flown both with the 912s installed. the rans is heavy on the controls while the drifter is lighter in feel. i built 4 titan tornados over the last two years and love the looks and handling, but i always missed the truly open cockpit experience. when i sold the titan dealership, i ordered the gt-400. i have flown about 50 different types and by far the quicksilver gt series is the best ultralight company, best kit, and most proven design on the market. the gt is also certified through the light aircraft manufactoring association. (LAMA). the gt gives the the same type of flying experience as the drifter. on my list of excellent ultralights, i would have to say the list is pretty short. when you buy a plane you are also buying into a company for tech and parts support. the list would go as follows in descending order of desire to own one after flying each one:

open cockpit
quicksilver - gt 400/500 series (best kits made today)
quicksilver - IIS/sport/sprint (best trainer)
drifter (best on floats)
phanthom
hurricanne (no longer in production, best aerobat)
aerolite 103
t-bird
mini-max
weedhopper (my first plane, bought for $900 and flew it 400 hours)

enclosed cockpit
quicksilver gt-400/500
titan - tornado IISS with 912s (a little fast at 115 mph, A+ for yeehaw)
rans s-6es II
rans s-9 (great aerobat, does great inverted flight)
rans s-12
rans s-14
kolb mark III
x-air (one i have owned and personal favorites for a two seater)
flightstar
cgs hawk
excalibur
challenger I
challenger II with large UK tail kit (small standard tail is horrible with doors installed)

i hope this helps. if you are interested in seeing what all these planes are selling for. go to www.barnstormers.com under ultralights.

ngsp

Can you reccomend a good two person ultralight?

Check out the Kolb Mark III Classic. Almost everyone who've tried the others (esp. the challengers and quicks) prefer the Kolb. The Rans series is hard to beat too. Go to matronics dot com and check out the user lists for the type you're looking for. Mucho first-person info.

I own a Kolb MkII and love it.

For those that have researched both, what do you like more about the Quicksilver GT 400 vs. the Quadcity Challenger.

I will prly make a decision next year. And buid it that winter. It will be primarily on floats.

the gt-400 is by far the better airplane!!! i have owned the challenger and now currently own a gt-400. the challenger is very yaw unstable and it is more like flying an r-22 helicopter than a fixed wing plane. you have to constantly keep the nose pointed in the direction you are traveling and it gets very tiring on a long flight with all the rudder movements required. i bought my challenger in newport news va and flew it to atlanta ga over two days and my feet and lower legs were sore from flight. i now own a gt-400 and it flies like a plane should. feet on the floor and tracks like an arrow. the gt-400 handles more like a cessna 150. the gt series is the only ultralight style plane that is certified by the faa. you do not have to worry about loose rivets and bad handling with a quicksilver. do a google search on challengers and you will find alot of info on belt drive failures and crashes due to the terrible handling. the factory trys to down play the crashes, but the plane was not able to be sold in the U.K. until they put a tail nearly as twice as big as stock in order to meet the U.K. handling standards. i have been flying helicopters lately and i have my plane for sell. i want to build a helicycle helicopter kit. take a look at www.barnstormers.com and look under ultralights. you will see my plane. i have to say it is the nicest one i have ever seen. both planes will work on floats, i personally like the gt on a full lotus mono float and retractable gear. check out the full lotus website for a few pictures. the only other comments i can make about the comparison is the re-sell price of the planes. the challengers have terrible re-sell value while the gt-400 holds it's value very well. check out the difference on barnstormers and see what each are selling for. i hope this helps.

mine is the yellow/ blue and white one in griffin, ga. it is brand new with only 5 hours on it.

Latest resources

Back