Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gryphon

Pre-solo..
Has anyone here flown an ultralight that they either built or bought? I'm curious, and want to try it myself. If so, whats your favorite?

Gryphon said:
Has anyone here flown an ultralight that they either built or bought? I'm curious, and want to try it myself. If so, whats your favorite?

Always wanted to try it and will someday, but not without a BRS.

When I was in college I bought a used Quicksilver ultralight with $ I made in the summers doing construction work. By the second summer I owned it I fitted it with a then new BRS ballistic chute, and some amphib floats off a wrecked project.

I can say that I have never had as much fun in all my years of flying as I did in that thing. I flew for miles at 10 feet off the Connecticut river with several friends who had the same model. We would land wherever we saw something interesting, would slow to a stop in the water, drop the gear and taxi up on any bar or river bank.. have lunch, talk to boaters, whatever....

I went on to get my private, went to Naval flight school, flew commercially, etc. but the most fun I ever had was the freedom I felt skimming green fields and going wherever I wanted. Of course looking back, I did some really stupid things, most out of immaturity and ignorance, but I think if you respect your ability and the conditions, ultralighting is plenty safe as well.

Anyway, I'll surely get another one some day, just as soon as I have a house out on a plain or lake somewhere with a hangar and a place to take off and land.

I hae owned 24 ultralight and light experimental aircraft in the past 20years. i have flown over 2500 hours in them and also fly airliners. i would say without a shadow of a doubt that the quicksilver gt-400 is the finest flying ultralight on the market today. i just ordered a new one and it arrives tuesday. if you are ever in atl, post a message. i will show you a few different models and let you fly one for yourself. do a google on quicksilver g-400 and check it out.

ngsp said:
I hae owned 24 ultralight and light experimental aircraft in the past 20years. i have flown over 2500 hours in them and also fly airliners. i would say without a shadow of a doubt that the quicksilver gt-400 is the finest flying ultralight on the market today. i just ordered a new one and it arrives tuesday. if you are ever in atl, post a message. i will show you a few different models and let you fly one for yourself. do a google on quicksilver g-400 and check it out.
Quicksilver is one of the ones on my list, ngsp... also the titan tornado looks appealing. :) I have a Kitplane mag somewhere with over 100 different ultralights.. gotta find that thing again.

gryphon, check out this website http://ngasprtplanes.tripod.com i was a titan dealer for years and have built 4 of them. they are great planes. i just love the low and slow open cockpit type flying. that is why i am building a new quicksilver gt-400. if you have any questions or want to see either one, let me know. i will send you my contact info offline.

where are you located? i can find you a local instructor in just about any area. the best ultralight style airplane out there is the quickilver IIS. if you want an enclosed cockpit, i would suggest the quicksilver gt-500. the most open cockpit would be a drifter xp. i sold my titans and i am building a new quicksilver gt-400. it is the best single seater available today. the titan is a great plane and i have built 4 of them, but they are still on the general aviation side. i miss the low and slow open cockpit flying. if you want a plane with folding wings, i would suggest the kolb mark III. if you are looking for something cheap, look at the x-air standard. i built one with a jabiru engine and loved it. i would suggest the R582 if you are on a budget. the x-air is built in india and spare parts can be challenging, but the entire airplane is less than 18k.

ngsp said:
where are you located? i can find you a local instructor in just about any area. the best ultralight style airplane out there is the quickilver IIS. if you want an enclosed cockpit, i would suggest the quicksilver gt-500. the most open cockpit would be a drifter xp. i sold my titans and i am building a new quicksilver gt-400. it is the best single seater available today. the titan is a great plane and i have built 4 of them, but they are still on the general aviation side. i miss the low and slow open cockpit flying. if you want a plane with folding wings, i would suggest the kolb mark III. if you are looking for something cheap, look at the x-air standard. i built one with a jabiru engine and loved it. i would suggest the R582 if you are on a budget. the x-air is built in india and spare parts can be challenging, but the entire airplane is less than 18k.

Check your PM's sir.

Latest resources

Back