Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starvingcfi

CpApAwM
anyone have any inside info on UAL? anything that may not be in the news? i'm somewhat considering buying stock in the company when the price hits its bottom. good idea or no?

I wouldn't solicit information like that. It's a good way to get into a legal jam real quick, esp. if someone replies.

If you're really serious, you should talk to a broker or financial analyst.

just think of this: stocks that go lower tend to go even lower. look at enron, it was a buy at 12$ a share, an even better buy at 7, and a steal at 4! now its worth less than a dollar and is getting delisted.
buy an industry leader like SWA or walmart.
my opinion

There were some really good deals on solid and profitable airlines like Skywest and Southwest that got dragged down with the whole industry. They are still below what they were selling for pre-9-11 but they have come up a lot and they still have the same basic numbers and growth predictions. I'd stick with the profitalbe or nearly so airlines that got dragged down with the ones that are in big trouble, like United. Of course this assumes that the market is driven by logic or some kind of rational valuation of stocks, which it clearly is not as demonstrated by the events of the last 10 years. Still, buying United right now is a pretty high risk move, it's hard to imagine how a company can loose that kind of money and stay out of bankruptcy.

Scott

true, but if you're looking for money... buy low, sell high..

united may be weak, but they are still strong. they are one of the industries pioneers, like twa, and they've been through a lot. people don't want to see them go, so i'm sure united is going to try their hardest to stay afloat.

but really, what do you have to lose? really nothing unless united goes belly up and never comes back; not likely. probably they'll do ch. 11, and come back strong, or come back weak and get bought out. also keep in mind that despite their financial situation they're still selling at $15.00 a share, which isn't too bad.

they may be having difficulty, but they aren't in trouble yet. just like everyone else, they are trimming their fat. eventually they will return to profitability, maybe even w/o a ch. 11.

honestly, if i were to go buy stock right now, i'd buy united. but if it were way back in september i would have put my money on continental. they have really been playing their cards right. unfortunately, at the expense of the pilot group :( :mad:

but keep in mind the stock market is just a game; anything could happen. you might win, you might not.

Take a look at MAIR(Mesaba)

I used to fly for them a while back. Their stock is sitting pretty low right now. I bought some shares a month or so ago. The best thing about the company is it's balance sheet. Right now they have over 100 million in the bank. That works out to around 5 bucks/share.(The company has 20 million shares outstanding.) Last time I looked the stock price was $7.70/share. So you are essentially getting the stock very cheap. Also, the company has an insignificant amount of debt.

Latest resources

Back