Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jamesslally

I was hoping for some advice from some of the corporate pilots. I've got funding through the WIA for a type rating in the aircraft of my choice, and I'm trying to decide which airplane type would give me the best chance of getting a good corporate or Pt. 135 job. I'd appreciate any insight that you could provide.
Thanks,
Jim

I agree with CL600Pilot... the CE-500 or LR-JET type ratings would cover the most airframes.... BUT a Type Rating with no time in type is fairly useless, but if it is free.... what the heck....

Depends what you want to do...if it is freight...I would lean towards the LRJT...corporate, then Citation. The LRJT type rating covers a bunch of lears but, the 20 series that it covers will probably be parked once RVSM is implemented over the continental US.

Best of luck to ya!

--SeaBass (om at KHRL)

Which Type To Get

A 500 series Citation or a LJ-JET. The others folks are right those are the ones to choose from. As far as which one is easier, the Citation, easier to fly and simpler systems. I've instructed in both (LJ as a 135 instructor pilot) and the Ultra and XL as a Sim instructor (also some aircraft instruction in the Ultra).

Early 20 series Lears are going to be gone with in a couple of years, not so much b/c of RVSM (most early Citation and LJ 35/36's aren't RVSM either) but because of noise complience. The 20's are stage II aircraft (VERY LOUD turbo jets:D ) and I think the early straight 500 Citation were maybe Stage II even though they were turbo fans.

Either way both type are usful. You might find it easier to find a Citation job, generaly the insurance requirments only require Simulator training. Also choose a Sim carfully, not all Sims can get you a type. In level C sims you have to do a 85/15 ride. 85% in the sim and 15% in the airplane (all the T/O and landings).

Good luck

30 series Lear's and RVSM

I just read in the January issue of "Business & Commercial Aviaition" and these folks say that LR 35/36's can operate in RVSM if they are equipped with the Century III Softflite wing and certain STC electronics. 2 paragraphs lower state that Cessna is trying like crazy to get RVSM certifications for the older citations too.

I would tend to think that noisey airplanes are not going to be banned from flying...maybe from flying into more high density sensitive areas like TEB but not in podunk Iowa...but if they are not able to participate in RVSM, then the fuel cost is going to eat a company alive if they have to cruise around in the 20's all day.

Personally, I like loud airplanes and would hate to see 'em go.

Take it easy!

-SeaBass

What state did you get your WIA funding with? I am curious because I have been trying to get WIA funding in Texas and I have had no luck so far. After writing everyone including the Govenor, they claim if I can get a letter from a prospective employer stating that they will hire me, the Texas work force commission will do some more research. On that note, anyone know of any operators out of KFTW? Thanks for any info.

Type rating

jamesslally,

I see you already have some jet time in a B-717 and some T-prop time. If you have some corporate experience, you may be able to target several prospective corporate employers. I'd pick a few good ones and then arrange to talk with the chief pilot or director about your situation. As Falcon Capt said, a type with no time is usless. You'd have to have some sort of arrangement with them to get some experience in the aircraft. It is a delicate situation and should be handled carefully. Funded or free type ratings can sometimes be a curse to the recipient.

I'd pick companies that operate the more popular aircraft types. Hawker, Citation, Lear, etc... there are many others. It also depends on how much money you want to make. The Hawker was a great income for me for at least a decade.

Latest resources

Back