Twin Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mjpat

I will soon be looking for the best and fastest way to build twin engine time so I may qualify for a regional airline. Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to do this? Thank You

Well..you can do the mei thing if you have your cfi ratings....but thenagain you will need to find a school or fbo where there are plenty of multi students.

You could also buy a block/blocks of multi time and go fly around and build time....but that is pretty expensive. How much time do you have now?? how about multi?? If you plan on renting from an fbo, there are goign to be insurance minimums for the rental to.

You could also try and split time with a mei at a local school too. If they are shy of multi students he/she might be willing to split it with you and maybe even do it under the table to...(not that all people will do this, approach this topic carefully).

The one thing you dont want to do is to do something like TAB or gulfstream....NOT TRYING TO START ANOTHER PFT WAR...you can look back into previous threads on this...everyone has there own opinion...mine is to not do it.

hope this helps,

1900cpt

It depends how much money you have to burn. Unless your Dad's a CEO I can't imagine plunking down $5000 to fly an Apache for a 100 hours. My advice:

Get your CFI.
Get an MEI at a place that might hire you on.

:eek:

MEI time is hard to come by...

I've been instructing at the same place for just over a year now <shudder>, and I think I've built all of 8 hours instructing in a twin. I can tell you all about a 172 though. You're likely going to have to buy it somehow.

rominato

After going through ATP’s Career Pilot Program, I am a new hire CFI/CFII/MEI. Like all the new hires, I’m answering phones and doing office work in Jacksonville -- waiting for a slot to open up at one of the So. Cal locations (Long Beach, Riverside) so I can get back home to my family.

We were just told about a new program that ATP is going to announce in the next week or so. The new ASAP program is a condensed version of the one that we currently offer. It will give you 5 hours of dual in the sim, 10 hours of dual in the aircraft, and 25 hours of cross-country time. That’s ground school, 35 hours of multi and 5 hours of sim for $3495. You aren’t going to beat PIC multi time in a Garmin 430 GPS and HSI equipped Seminole for less than $100 per hour.

The requirements are: 250 hours total time, 10 hours of multi in the last 6 months, a Multi-Commercial Instrument rating, and instrument currency/proficiency. It’s a great time builder for those who are looking to improve their resume. If you don’t have your Multi-Commercial, we can do that for you in 4 days time – doing the rating with us also gives you the 10 hours multi required for the new ASAP Program.

The program takes 7 days to complete, and there’s no limit to how many 35-hour blocks you can buy. If you need 100 hours total but can’t take the time off to do it all at once, this will give you a way to break it up over three 7-day periods. The program will initially be offered at our Jacksonville location. But, we were told that the program would also be offered at a number of locations around the country starting in a month or so.

If you have any questions, call me at 800-255-2877 and I’ll fill you in.

Travis
CFI/CFII/MEI

Just my $.02:
I think that if you have the money, a much quicker route is
to by turbine time from from someone like Alpien Air, or Ameriflight.
It is actually cheaper than renting a plane by the hour, and is alot
quicker than instructing. I also think that the quality of experience
is better.

Or instead of paying for it, you could get a job at a large dropzone and move into the turbine equipment after flying jumpers for a bit. I hear they even PAY you to do it. It's not x-country time...but a friend of mine got hired at AWAC with almost all jump time (in a Twin Otter).

If you look hard enough you will find some sort of twin time. I know of a few people who have started 135vfr flying in a twin with only 500 hours. Get a job at a place that has 135 and instructing so you can slide in. If you want to go places you need to be willing to take the best job you can get anywhere in the country. Also, Superior Aviation hires first officer in the metro and actually pays them. Stay away from paying for time if you can. Just look really hard, things dont just fall in your lap.

Many (most) 135 freight companies start you off in a single, typically a Lance or Cherokee 6, then you can upgrade to a Baron, Seneca or other twin. Some have turbo props (Ameriflight, etc) & some have jets (Airnet, etc).

Look into it. It's about the best experience you'll get and the airlines love it.

ALPINE AIR MUST DIE!

I have to comment here, do not pay for turbine time **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** it!
First of all PFT (Pay for Training) is not a good thing to have in
your log books. Especially since the guy interviewing you might
have busted his/her ass to become a cfi or 135 pilot and feels
like I do; if these dumb **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**s out there would just think about it-
if people like you did not pay for this time, places like Alpine Air would have to hire someone to run their radios and throw their boxes!

I would say the best thing is to take a little longer, get your cfi/cfii/mei maybe from a place like ATP career pilot program or join
an aircraft club with a twin and become their multi-instructor. This
time will look good in your log book, and you will become a proficient multi-pilot when u teach it for a few hundred hours.

Remember there are no real short cuts here, do not believe any magazine ads or rumors that there is a pilot shortage, this is
propaganda to get guys like you to fly and fuel general aviation.
Yes, there will be a job for you, but it will most likely come in at least two years with 1500 tt and 250 multi. I do not want you
to discourage you but do not attempt this unless you are willing to go under $30k-$50k! and live in poverty for at least 5 years.
Becoming a commercial airline pilot is very difficult on you and your support crew (family), be sure this is what you want because
by the time you are done you could have been a lawyer, doctor,
or any other skilled profession in just as long with just as much
heart ache and study.

I wish you good luck and take your time and pick your path
very carefully!

Sincerely,

Someone who read article
"Pilot Shortage"

Latest resources

Back