Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Horizon

Thrust=Weight+Drag
I know this has been discussed to great lengths many times before, but how many here believe it may have been shot down?

Everyone knows a wire was frayed in the center fuel tank creating a spark which destroyed the doomed airliner. The NTSB clearly found fatigue as the culpret as the wire became fatigued when an aegis class destoyer missle lodged itself in the center fuel tank.

Probability:

95%- One or two MANPADS fired by terrorists from boats south of Long Island
3%- Ignition of center wing tank caused by static, uncontained engine failure, or short circuit
1%- Struck by another aircraft or US military missile/ drone
<1%- Other- meteor, bomb on board, structural failure, etc

I don't think there's any question that it was shot down. The increadible part is that there was ever any question about it, or that it's been as muted as it's been.

sardinesnack

Yeah, how could we be so dumb...I mean, the government also said Iraq had WMD's......I mean, the clearly did!

I dont what to think, I dont think it was mechanical. that aircraft has been with me for years! boeing makes a good aircraft, it wou;d not surprise me if this had been a different accident, look at pan am, I feel strongly this aircraft was worthy to fly and did not suffer malfuction, go with your gut feeeling, and gut feeling is normally the answer, in the meantime, now is a good time to pray and say god bless those people thank god it was not us!

Those people who think a shoulder fired Missle shot down an airplane flying at 13,500 ft and 10 mile offshore need to check their facts. The stinger missle has an effective range of 3-4 miles, and 6,000 ft if memory serves. Getting a hit is very dificult requireing a lot of training and skill.

Even if it had hit an engine, the 2.5 pound warhead would probably at worst knock off an engine with some shrapnel damage to the wing. Hardley the instant destruction that occured. IIRC a Hawker was hit by an SA-7 somewhere in Africa and was able to return to land, same deal for the DHL A-300 in Iraq.

No realsitic way it was an MANPAD.

A missle fried from a Navy ship could have hit and caused the damage that resulted. However, for this to be true no one from the ship in question (100+ people) has come forward to admit what happened. No guilty concionce, not book deals, ect. Add the hundreds of people who would have to be part of the cover up, and you might as well start talking about the fake Apollo Moon landings.

Many people maintain that jet fuel won't burn easily, much less explode if subjected to a simple spark. However everone overlooks the fact that the tank was not full and was pressurized.

I've worked inside the center fuel tank on a 747-200 and there are plenty of wires that can chafe and eventually cause a short.

Compressed kerosene vapors + a shorted wire = big boom

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back