• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
(We're Part 23 Commuter category).
-mini

You may want to check that. The CJ3 is not propeller driven:

23.3 Airplane categories.

(d) The commuter category is limited to propeller-driven, multiengine airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of 19 or less, and a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 19,000 pounds or less.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.10.1.59.3&idno=14

I would bet you are:

(a) The normal category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for nonacrobatic operation.

Last edited:
You may want to check that. The CJ3 is not propeller driven:

23.3 Airplane categories.

(d) The commuter category is limited to propeller-driven, multiengine airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of 19 or less, and a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 19,000 pounds or less.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&view=text&node=14:1.0.1.3.10.1.59.3&idno=14

I would bet you are:

(a) The normal category is limited to airplanes that have a seating configuration, excluding pilot seats, of nine or less, a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less, and intended for nonacrobatic operation.

I've never flow the CJ3, but it's similar in size to they Citation V, which had a MTOW of 16,300...well over the 12,500 cited I the normal category reg above.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

U of I,

That is because the Citation V is certified under part 25, Transport Catagory. Those aircraft get a lot heaver.....

Here is the type data sheet:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...A0FF9E2FA169C02F86257833005A6BDB?OpenDocument

Having flown the V, I remember it is a transport category airplane. An above post referenced normal category airplanes, specifically limiting them to 12,500 lbs. I was saying I'd be surprised if a CJ3 could weigh that little. I was curious, so I looked up the CE525 TCDS. The CJ1 and CJ2 are normal category, while the CJ3, weighing in at over 13K, is a commuter category.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/7897696ff1dfcb5e862572ed005e7b2a/$FILE/A1WI.pdf

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

U of I and Minitour, I read the TCDS and see you are correct.

Wow, now I've see it all. Only FAA HQ could classify a (6 seat?) corporate turbo jet under the 19 passenger turboprop category. I need to go buy some more asprin now..........

U of I and Minitour, I read the TCDS and see you are correct.

Wow, now I've see it all. Only FAA HQ could classify a (6 seat?) corporate turbo jet under the 19 passenger turboprop category. I need to go buy some more asprin now..........

8 Seats if you count the spacious lav and sideways vomit-inducing, refreshment center replacing seat.

...9 if you count the right seat ballast seat.

I was also surprised to see the aircraft certified the way it is, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

And yeah, I've done 9 pax part 91 flights in this thing. Thaaaaaat's a real treat. "Please don't touch...ple..pl...really don't touch that!"

"Why did you yell at my son/daughter?"

"...do you enjoy pressurization at 45,000'?"

"He/she was just curious."

-mini

Last edited:
A common effect of the FAA!

I'm afraid you don't know the half of it. A story for another time.

Mini, A hundred years ago I flew an early Citation 501. On one flight one of the passengers ended up with blue all over them. After that we flew with it empty. The "good old days"........

Mini, A hundred years ago I flew an early Citation 501. On one flight one of the passengers ended up with blue all over them. After that we flew with it empty. The "good old days"........
I know several people have said they put kitty litter in theirs. Ours is a flushing potty, so that wouldn't be good, I'm sure.

I particularly found amusing when the service center had to remove the entire interior a few months ago to clean up a leaking tank.

-mini

I particularly found amusing when the service center had to remove the entire interior a few months ago to clean up a leaking tank.

-mini

Not so amusing for the tech's at the service center..... Also a prime spot for corrosion. Nasty stuff.

Latest resources

Back