Turbine Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJEPilot

What is reverse command and what is a free spinning turbine?

Now, I'm not turbine pilot, but here is my explaination. I had a chance to fly right seat in a King Air 200 a few times with People's First here in Panama City, FL and I learned quite a bit.

Not sure if reverse command and reverse-flow are the same, but a reverse-flow is when air is entered in the back of the engine and and the air flows forward through the combustion and exits the front.

And the only thing I know about the free-spinning turbine is that the starter doesn't have to rotate the propeller on startup.

I think I talked to your brother the other night on AIM, he mentioned he used to fly the ATR-42. He might know some of these questions - try to ask him.

I hope I helped.

Here it is straight from P&W.
Reverse flow, inlet is at rear of engine exhaust is at front. i.e. PT-6

The air enters the engine through the inlet screen; it is then compressed by a multi-stage compressor and fed to the combustion chamber where it is mixed with fuel and ignited.

The hot gas expands through three turbine stages; the first drives the compressor and the accessories; the other two mechanically independent from the first, drive the propeller shaft by means of a reduction gearbox. Finally, the hot gas is discharged through the exhaust ducts.

MJEPilot,

A free spinning turbine is one that has no direct linkage to the rest of the engine core. High pressure gases moving through the turbine section flow into a separate area, commonly called the power section, and turn an additional turbine which is linked to the propeller with its own independent shaft. This is different from a direct drive engine, in which the propeller is connected directly to the compressor shaft through a series of reduction gears.

The reverse command that I believe you're referring to is the "region of reverse command", or more commonly being "behind the power curve". Basically this occurs at a particular point, usually on final approach when the aircraft is configured for landing, when the amount of drag being produced overcomes the lift when the aircraft is flown at too slow an airspeed. Essentially lift is just a component of angle of attack times velocity. When you get "low and slow" on final with gear and flaps extended you must add more and more power in order to maintain a specific glidepath or altitude. There comes a point when the total drag will exceed the power available to maintain this altitude. This is called being on the backside of the power curve or in the region of reverse command. The only way to increase the lift is to reduce pitch and allow the airspeed to build and "nurse it" back, so to speak. Retracting the gear, if applicable, might help the situation, but a sudden flap retraction will decrease lift and make a bad situation worse. As you can see, this is not a desirable situation to be in. It has been awhile since I've thought about this stuff in any great detail, so maybe somebody else can chime in and expand a bit.

Hope this helps...

KingAirKiddo

A simpler answer

Normally (in cruise) we control altitude with pitch and airspeed with power.

As the previous poster explained (due to the fact that at approach airspeeds we're operating on the back side of the power curve [drag curve]) the region of reverse command dictates that now we control altitude with power and airspeed with pitch.

I know this will start an arguement; it always does. Have at it, guys I'm outta of this discussion now.:p

An easy way to tell if an engine is direct-drive or a free-turbine when it's shut down:

The free turbine is always feathered because otherwise the propeller will windmill and without any oil pressure the bearings would wear.

The direct drive is always flat pitch so as to create less drag during engine start (thus keeping EGTs low).

Fly safe.

Reverse Command

You're experiencing the Region of Reversed Command when you are flying the airplane at critically slow airspeed, i.e. minimum controllable airspeed. Your instructor probably had you try this on your second or third flight, when he/she had you slow the airplane to flap range, deploy all of the flaps and add power to maintain flight. Your airspeed was just above Vso, the bottom of the green arc (I believe the Private PTS standard is Vso + 5). You probably found that you had to lower angle of attack to gain airspeed.

Look at the lift-to-drag curve in your textbook to learn more about region of reversed command.

I, too, will opt out of the pitch v. power debate on controlling airspeed, except to say that you should ask a Lear driver his/her opinion. ;)

MJEPilot,

Thanks for the clarification on the double identity. Please pass on our best wishes to your "brother" for his interview at Comair tomorrow. I know we all hope he gets the job he deserves.

Have the "two" of you considered using different logins? They're free, you know.

I think what Bobby was referring to is:

Add power in a 20 series LJ and what does the nose want to do?? Pitch Down

Subtract that same power and what will the nose do? Pitch Up

Of course, these are inital reactions of the 20 Series LJ and not including the more detailed discussions of airspeed, pitch, flaps, trim, or my favorite...spoilers.

And those that question, the next time you are scrapping by at 250 knots below 10 (or any stright and level, clean configuration) trim the aircraft and see for yourself.

Learjets are cool.

Pitch v. power debate

Yes, ma'am, you're on point. I don't want to launch into that debate, except to say that pitch controls altitude and power controls airspeed. Add power and what does the airplane do? Go faster. Reduce power? It goes slower. Point the nose up? It climbs.

Sure, for lightplanes, if you add power they will climb. Reduce power and they will decend. But the idea is we train pilots to fly airplanes, not just light aircraft. Remembering what controls what will work in any airplane.

Latest resources

Back