• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travel Management-Elkhart IN. ????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just reread the "proposal". We are going to an entirely day rate. - u no fly and get sent home- u no get paid. No stable salary/paycheck- it will vary every DAY.
Certain criteria dictate "merit levels" ie steps n day rates.
I have updated my flight times and already applied to 4 jobs.
Tmc mgmnt is making the pilot group take a pay cut via the daily rate pure and simple.
Taking away ones earned vacation is stealing- ill get it back one way or another.
That one fo was here less than 2 months- she quit.
Maybe our pay cuts are subsidizing the lawyer fees for going after the one year trainng contract offenders! Haha.
Safety culture has now been affected.
Whats funny is the tmc mgm t saying " i u dont like it, leave". Now mgmnt wants u to stay AND pay u less. R u serious?
They will try to run an airline with a pool of pilots as opposed to a pilots per airplane staffing model- every other company in the world uses- way to renvent the wheel

UNION
Tmc pilots association has a good ring

TMC Pilots Association would be a Joke

I just reread the "proposal". We are going to an entirely day rate. - u no fly and get sent home- u no get paid. No stable salary/paycheck- it will vary every DAY.
Certain criteria dictate "merit levels" ie steps n day rates.
I have updated my flight times and already applied to 4 jobs.
Tmc mgmnt is making the pilot group take a pay cut via the daily rate pure and simple.
Taking away ones earned vacation is stealing- ill get it back one way or another.
That one fo was here less than 2 months- she quit.
Maybe our pay cuts are subsidizing the lawyer fees for going after the one year trainng contract offenders! Haha.
Safety culture has now been affected.
Whats funny is the tmc mgm t saying " i u dont like it, leave". Now mgmnt wants u to stay AND pay u less. R u serious?
They will try to run an airline with a pool of pilots as opposed to a pilots per airplane staffing model- every other company in the world uses- way to renvent the wheel

UNION
Tmc pilots association has a good ring

Did you know the first thing a Company will do if they feel there is a real union threat is to send out their ass kissing Pilots to try and start the idea of an In-House Union?

An In House will be just a Paper Tiger that Management will laugh at. Where are 150 Pilots going to get a Million + dollars to hire all the lawyers and consultants you will need to do battle with the Ford and Harassment Union Busting Law Firms of the world?

Your only hope would be to get the help of an existing union like the IBT 1108, much like the Options Pilots originally got help from the NetJets Pilots.

Personally though, do you really think after getting a check for 600-800 million dollars from Berkshire Hathaway, that the Owner of TMC needs it? I think its just a hobby and tax write off for his big check. Vote in a Real Union (not a Paper Tiger In-House) and he could easily sell off the airplanes and close the doors.

My Advice to you: Get out as soon as you can.

If they had a 25% turnover rate in 2010 (which is incredible given this is the worst pilot market I have ever seen, short of that after 9/11), I'd bet it will go up to 35-40% in 2011 after this latest rocket scientist bean counter move.

Good Luck to all the TMC Pilots.

Last edited:
Freedom, I am sure Skippy is not a company tool. I have heard a lot say they would prefer an in-house union to a national. I disagree. I think you are right, there is far more bargaining power with a national union.

So where are the cards? Let's git'r dun.

You missed my point completely....

Freedom, I am sure Skippy is not a company tool. I have heard a lot say they would prefer an in-house union to a national. I disagree. I think you are right, there is far more bargaining power with a national union.

So where are the cards? Let's git'r dun.

In some situations, you can Win the Battle, and still Lose the War.

In my opinion, TMC getting a real union (and why get an in house that can't be adequately funded by the pilot group due to its small size), is a waste of time.

TMC is, in my opinion, a tax write-off/ hobby for the company owner who walked away with a 600-800 million dollar check from Berkshire Hathaway after he sold his travel trailer business to Buffet and friends.

Many companies threaten to close the doors if a Union is voted in. Hell, the founder of Flight Options once did so, yet the company still exists.

However, look at the true reason for TMC being in business. Would the Owner like to see it grow and be successful? Probably. But if it became too much of a pain in his ass, he doesn't need TMC. He is already almost a Billionaire.

For the Pilot, better to just move on at the soonest possible opportunity. Eventually, their turnover will grow high enough, and evolution will take care of the rest. Either they will once again become a good place for Pilots to work (especially as the hiring market improves), or they will close their doors.

Wouldn't you feel silly to fight for a Contract over 3-4 years, just to have the company owner sell off the airplanes and close the doors? Every situation is different, but in this particular one, that is exactly what I believe would happen.

Last edited:
Man, after reading this, I feel so sorry for all my friends I left behind at TMC. Good luck to you guys and hope that greener pastures will come along.

I just sit here thinking about how W, H and E are sitting in there offices not lifting a finger for the pilots and kissing up to PL. From what is being said here, it really sounds like they forgot what it is like on the line and are only concerned about their own paychecks.

From what is being said here, it really sounds like they forgot what it is like on the line and are only concerned about their own paychecks.

You think????????

Seems like from what I hear today's email made it even worse. Sounds like some lay-offs might be coming. I hope nobody opts in for the reserve Captain schedule. I'm pretty sure those guys are going to work their tails off because of being short staffed.

Childlike Psychological Ploy....

Seems like from what I hear today's email made it even worse. Sounds like some lay-offs might be coming. I hope nobody opts in for the reserve Captain schedule. I'm pretty sure those guys are going to work their tails off because of being short staffed.

Lay a few guys off, and have the survivors just grateful to have a job.

Straight out of the 1930s style management playbook.

Here's something the TMC Pilots need to learn if not already known:

Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

FUD!

Straight out of the Union Buster's Handbook

Man am I glad I don't work at that place.

Good luck to the many Fine Pilots at TMC.
Notice I did not say TMC Pilots this time.

Best to get use to disconnecting your job title from that particular company.

I have a close friend who really wanted to work for these guys-THANK GOD i read this thread!!!!!!!! Daily rates??? no salary??? so basically they only want to hire cfi's who are willing to fly for nothing? is that a serious synopsis? What kind of rated experienced pilot is willing to be gone 15 days and after all that, not even have a salary to rely on?? Also, how can they afford to furlough if they actually have that kind of turnover? Just wondering if that turnover is just pilot talk or the real deal.
thanks for relies guys.

From my understanding the email came straight from the GM and it clearly stated that they had 25% turnover last year (2010). I don't really think that is that high to tell you the truth. That means the average pilot will be there for 4 years. If this industry turns around, I bet it would be over 50% and now with this latest stunt, perhaps 85%. I guess the email also clearly stated that there will be a reduction in staffing. It isn't clear whether this will be through attrition or lay-offs. I've heard that they are looking at reducing the staffing up to 20 pilots.

Latest resources

Back