• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
even a bare minimums FO takes more time than many FOs TSA already have. Now it takes an ATP to get hired, 3-4 months to get trained/typed/online and then 1-2 years to get that 1000 121 time required for a "bare minimums" 2500 hour. We have many FOs below even this threshold. and consider that a couple years ago they were hiring 500 hr FOs add another couple years to the mix and there could be 3 year FOs lacking the minimums for "bare minimum". In the meantime the compnay is growing, lots of planes coming and somebody is needed to fly the things until all the FOs get these "bare minimums" hence CQFOs. it's simple math not a judgement call

The ATP rule went into effect on August 1, 2013. Meaning that all TSA FOs on property as of that date, were required to have an ATP/1500 hours. If all the FOs at TSA had the bare minimum of 1500 hours at that time, that's almost 17 months to get the required 1,000 hours of 121 time, assuming they had zero hours of 121 time before August 1, 2013. I think its safe to assume that most FOs meet the FAA requirement.

I'd be pretty upset if they were putting paying passengers in an aluminum tube 7 miles above the earth at 450 knots and the Captain had barely 1500 hrs. There is more to being a Captain than seeing who can log 1500 hrs fastest....the 3500 hr rule at TSA seems to ensure some real FAR 121 experience occurs before they turn someone loose as a CA.

This is not about that though. Anyway, the captain would have 2500 hours, 1000 of which would be 121 time at TSA, presumably in the ERJ145 since I don't think you have another type. This is about fake minimums.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back