• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans oceanic navigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have an ETOPS check flight this weekend to KEF. Besides all the normal stuff in the flight ops manual etc, etc, /// Anyone have any good info that I can spoof the checkairman with???

Not sure what you are looking for. ETOPS is mainly a planning exercise. Maybe look at the MEL to see what could prevent a dispatch under ETOPS. When airborne, just keep a close eye on the WX at the selected airports, if WX goes below minima before you enter the ETOPS zone, then do not enter. Just try to find a new suitable airport and amend routing. If it goes below when you are already in the zone, then just continue as normal.

Good Luck

In the old days

We crossed the Atlantic in the 60's using DR, Cel Nav and Loran "A" (WWII stuff), routinely came within 10-15 miles of our entry points. At 360 KTs thats is only 2-3 minutes off course. The only time we every got in troulbe is when the navigator tried to use our new INS-42, it was a stand alone unit, one of the first intertials made by the Singer Sewing Machine company. Boy we really got lost.

Finished my ETOPS check. I guess our fleet manager wants all circles drawn with a quarter then the info inside the quarters on the plot chart. Other than trying to get a quarter through security it was no big deal. I will hopefully go the Vietnam next month, that would be a nice start.

Good luck with Vietnam,

ATC pretty good, WX this time of the year shouldn't be a problem, watch out for the the low transition level (FL60, I think). Saigon: Landing 25R(ILS), or 07L (VOR/DME), expect T3 ARR and T3 DEP from/to the east. Unless you are going on vacation, then forget the whole thing....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back