Trained Attack Line Guy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIPS- To Insure Proper Service

I had an old guy tell me he used to put the tip on the table at the beginning and if service was shat he would start taking it off as the meal progressed. Thought that was interesting.

i worked for tips as a bartender and a waiter through high school and college. what this no class ass muncher line guy did was down right outrageous. I would have told him to get back in his cage for acting like an animal. Then went and had the lav done and still not tip him. what a moron. hope he gets fired

i usually tip 5-20 bucks for baggage, ice, coffee, papers etc, but not for simply fuel. never had a lineman say anything other than "thank you". just try to treat people like you would like to be treated.

We got it all into the cargo hold somehow, all the while the team trainer was barking at us for not going fast enough. When it was all done, he huffed at us and remarked how slow we were, but we ended up getting a 20 each from the PIC the FO and the FE.

Thats funny. I need a trainer like that. Glad to see someone tipped you:)

TXGold

tip ?!

On a slightly similar note, I'm TIRED of seeing the now ubiquitous tip jar. Doesn't matter what they're doing on the other side of the counter - they want a tip.

It my opinion, it's not so much that it's service worth tipping but rather a ploy to give customers the oppourtunity to rid themselves of loose change after the sale. It seems that thats all people drop in there anyway.

A few months ago I was at a hotel in EWR and they had paid parking. As I pulled up the the little shack to pay, I handed the guy the paper parking card and my credit card to pay for it. When he handed me the clipboard with the reciept for me to sign there was a line to put in a TIP!!! Are you kidding me tip for parking in a parking lot! :eek:

A few months ago I was at a hotel in EWR and they had paid parking. As I pulled up the the little shack to pay, I handed the guy the paper parking card and my credit card to pay for it. When he handed me the clipboard with the reciept for me to sign there was a line to put in a TIP!!! Are you kidding me tip for parking in a parking lot! :eek:

It seems to me like more and more businesses are using the credit card receipts with tip lines. You feel like an ass for not writing one in even if the employee sitting behind the counter makes twice your salary and just punches buttons on a cash register all day.

g

It seems to me like more and more businesses are using the credit card receipts with tip lines. You feel like an ass for not writing one in even if the employee sitting behind the counter makes twice your salary and just punches buttons on a cash register all day.

g

I love the room service bills. First you have to pay big $$$$ for a sh!tty sandwich, plus a $3.00 delivery charge, AND a 20% "gratuity charge". Then they put the "tip line" on the bill when they bring it up to your room, and the delivery guy stands there expecting you to write in a big fat ADDITIONAL tip.

Sorry pal. Get your 20% that I already have to pay from your manager.:rolleyes:

Maybe he did not like the fact that you called in for a quick turn, the staff hustled and got you knocked out, but then you had the time to kick back and eat your lunch in the FBO. Exactly what is your definition of a quick turn? Quick turn with a time for a sit down lunch padded in? I've never heard of that. I've always thought quick turns were for going right back out, not leaving in a hour or two.

By no means am I suggsting this guy was in the right, but you were out of line as well abusing a courtesy that most FBO provide. It's actions like this that start the FBOs charging for things that use to be free. He should have approached this in another fashion.
He came in to where I was eating my lunch, chewed me out and left.

I agree that Tips are earned, not required. Even if you do get reimbursed for tipping by your company, it does not mean you have to give $20 every time you pull onto the ramp - it's that mentality that has made so many line guys just expect the cash. Just because I get reimbursed does NOT mean you are entitled to it.

Rampers/line guys have a job to do with specific duties, just like we pilots have. And absolutely, if the line guys go above and beyond, a little cash is definitely deserved. But, if the guy brings me ice and papers and calls the fuel truck over, then he's done his job and that's what he gets paid to do.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but do your job, get paid your salary/hourly. Go above and beyond, get tipped. Like someone else had posted, I hate the feeling of being guilted into tipping, or worse, the guy who hangs around by your side until reach into your pocket.

I hold the FBOs slightly responsible for this behavior as well. There needs to be clearly defined job descriptions for the line guys and a well written code of conduct that needs to be strictly enforced. Even when requesting a quick turn, especially at a place that advertises as the best quick turn FBO, I'm under the impression that that is their job, that's the service we are paying for in ramp/handling/service fees.

Something else I've noticed recently is line guys walking up the stairs of the plane while the PAX are still trying to get off. Dude, I know you are there, I know there are other planes coming or going, but chill out - when my PAX get off, I will address the needs of the airplane with you, but stay out of the way of my PAX.

My other pet peeve is when you pull into an FBO with a high profile PAX and somehow the FBO learns before hand who is on board (usually the limo driver let's them know) and there are 40 line guys out there to help you. Atlantic Las Vegas is a great example of this. Half of the time they have no idea where they tugged you the night before, there's no one available to get you ice or fuel, but a high pro PAX shows up and they are all lined up waiting to get a glimpse and possibly a tips.

Sorry for the ranting, just had to get it off my chest - thanks!

Dru

Latest resources

Back