Trained Attack Line Guy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400A

Do any of you tip for a standard quick turn with no additional services?

While stopping in Waco TX. the other day my co-pilot and I were chewed out by a line guy for not tipping him for doing an average quick turn. He came in to where I was eating my lunch, chewed me out and left.

I normally tip for lav service, baggage help, cabin service or extra efforts with the boss, but not for putting gas in the plane that I paid full retail for. Am I out of line here?

Just to irritate some people: In TX, no, you're not out of line at all. It's Texas, not TEB :D

As a former line guy myself, I would say no you were not out of line. I would only get tipped for quick turns involving fueling, lav service, bag unloading and loading, and any out of the ordinary stuff. And when I say quick turn, I mean have the truck standing by and running for a fast hook up to the plane as soon as they parked. I rarely recieved tips from the fractional guys, mostly just from the corporate pilots. I would never expect a tip from just simply parking an aircraft when no services were reqiured.

So much for the customer being priority one, I can t believe he had the nerve to chew you out. I would definately pass this along to the CSR or ramp supervisor at Texas Aero.

On a slightly similar note, I'm TIRED of seeing the now ubiquitous tip jar. Doesn't matter what they're doing on the other side of the counter - they want a tip.

It my opinion, it's not so much that it's service worth tipping but rather a ploy to give customers the oppourtunity to rid themselves of loose change after the sale. It seems that thats all people drop in there anyway.

So much for the customer being priority one, I can t believe he had the nerve to chew you out. I would definately pass this along to the CSR or ramp supervisor at Texas Aero.

It was passed on, and in Texas Aero's defense, they are taking action and have been very responsive to me.

As a former lineguy, I would also agree your not out of line. As with any other industry, tips should be earned rather than expected. And yes, I know there are people in the serving industry who would spit in my food for that statement. In our industry there are some things that always deserve a tip, the lav being priority one here, lets face it, its a stinky job only enjoyed by a very small, demented portion of the population, $10 at a minimum. I think any other situation where a line guy steps up to the plate and helps vastly improve the quality of service, above and beyond what is normaly expected, tips can be decided on a situational basis. You can always stand off to the side and see that momentary pause by the line guys; after they are done fueling, bringing ice, etc; waiting to see if your gonna throw something to them, those are usually the guys least deserving, that and the sharks that come over in the last 30 seconds of hard work, expecting a 20 spot from Mr. Fancy Pants. Just my two cents, but I am happy to hear that management is being proactive in your case.

Latest resources

Back