Totally not aviation, but please help?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alimaui

Okay, I know this is way way off topic, but maybe a couple of you computer gods can help me.

My brother installed Windows XP for me. When I start up my computer it asks me whether I want to start Win98 or XP, how do I make it automatically start XP??

He insists it is impossible to do, but I am stubborn and know there is a way to fix it. Any suggestions?

ali

Win XP

He must have set up a dual-boot system. Did you use the $200 clean install disk or the $100 upgrade? I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that you back up all your data, get your Windows 98 floppy, and start from scratch. Run FDISK, format your C drive, and install the minimum of Windows 98. Then run the upgrade. It's about a 1½ - 2 hour job.

In fact, you might consider selecting the install new Windows option on the Win XP CDROM instead of just upgrading, and to select the NTFS disk system. I've installed and reinstalled mine a few times (I dunno why!), and the NTFS option seems to help my 450 MHz system run a little faster.

Good luck with your efforts.

Last edited:
4 simple clicks...

To specify the default operating system for startup

1.Go to START, click the "Control Panel"

2.Open "System" in Control Panel.

3.On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

4.Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.

Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not modify the boot options file (boot.ini). Doing so may render your computer unusable. -Just fyi

Bobby's quote:
"I'd suggest that you back up all your data, get your Windows 98 floppy, and start from scratch. Run FDISK, format your C drive, and install the minimum of Windows 98. Then run the upgrade. It's about a 1½ - 2 hour job. "

It doesn't have to be that difficult. Its just an operating platform. If you have to back up and format drives you have bigger problems than operating systems, and if you don't you will after all that.

Computers are like airplanes and cars. When something doesn't work, start simple. Don't go pulling cylinders because it won't start, check to see if there is any gas (or default settings in this case).
:)

Let me say first of all I am very appreciative for everything y'all have done so far ;) I am very ~not computer literate~. In fact the only thing I use it for is for email and this lovely game .Bouce :D :D

Aero99,
So far that is the only thing that keeps me from beating the memory out of that piece of crap, lol. The computer has been set up with dual operating systems and all the win98 crap is still on there... (know how to delete it) I followed your instructions and went in and changed the timeout period so it boots XP automatically much quicker.

Bobbysamd,
It was the full install, and we did selct new installation??

Wiggums
Sure there is a way to do it. It's all in Q289022 .

If the above makes no sense then PM your boot.ini to me and I'll tell you what to do.

Dont know what the first one is...dont know what the second thing is either :confused:

ali

So is it working theyway you wanted it to now?

Ok yall, if I find one more link to a overly simple yet highly addictive game, I might as well just go ahead and quit my job. It's kinda funny how the best and most time-tested games are those that took five minutes to design (a bit of an understatement). Man, I really need to get some work done.

ps the bad side of me says keep em' coming...

aero99 said:
So is it working theyway you wanted it to now?

No, because it still has both of them on there...? Can I get rid of 98?Or do I just have to put up with it?

ali

I have never upgraded op platforms, just bought new computers with what I wanted.

If you set the default, it should only view as XP. Additionally, there is a setting in XP that allows some of the layout formats to default to the 98 format for those of us that just couldn't get used to the flashy XP format, but seems more user freindly to those less computer savy.

It is OK to have both loaded. And only one should open (the default).

You can remove 98 in the "remove/add program" link in the control panel. I would advise doing a back up for this incase you delete the wrong item(s). If your system is currently opening in XP, I would just leave it alone unless you have time on your hands.

Win XP full install

Just was wondering. I'd say the $200 full install should have offered to replace Win 98. My $100 upgrade did, and I chose it.

I first tried to install XP over Win ME that I had on my machine. I had diddled so much with that installation and didn't want to go through the brain damage of reinstalling each piece of software. It didn't work, so I bit the bullet, erased my "C" drive, reformatted it, installed Win 98 and then installed XP. I have done this a couple of times, primarily because I have this insatiable urge to tinker! So, I've gained a lot of experience in the process. I also found that I didn't need all the software I had installed after all. Perhaps minimalism is better!

I also found that Win XP supports Zip files, so I don't need WinZip anymore. It also has a few decent utilities.

Once you get onto it, XP really is a decent OS. Having tons of memory helps, by the way.

Latest resources

Back