Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

From Avweb.com

An American woman on board an SAS Boeing 767 transatlantic flight from Oslo to New York found herself sealed to a toilet seat after pushing the flush button before standing up.

To her horror, she realised that the powerful vacuum action had her in its grip. Her body was sealed to the seat so firmly that it took airport technicians to free her after the plane had landed.

After realising she was stuck, the woman raised the alarm - but cabin crew were unable to free her.

When the flight landed in New York, the cabin crew had to summon ground staff to help.

The passenger, whose name has not been revealed, made a formal complaint to SAS about the incident, which happened in 2001.

An SAS spokeswoman confirmed that the woman would be compensated for her in-flight ordeal.

"She was stuck there for quite a long time, she could not get up by herself and had to sit on the toilet until the flight had landed so that ground technicians could help her get loose."

In case of Pax sealed to toilet:

Depressurize the cabin

Realistic circumstances?

:eek: I simply don't understand how this is possible. The seat of the toilet that falls upon the rim doesn't make a solid seal around the top of the toilet - like others, there are small tabs that actually make contact with the rim - thus insuring no seal that would permit a vacuum of this sort. The only possible way I can imagine this occuring is if she did not lower the seat and had direct tush-to-rim contact (vomit). Even in that case, she'd have to have a HUGE derriere in order to insure a proper seal around the entirety of the rim.

But perhaps, as is often the case, I am mistaken? Anyway, I'd like to see the write up on that one - or an least an English translation since I don't speak/read Swedish. :rolleyes:

Logbook discrepancy on landing:

There is a LARGE crack in the forward lav seat.

This could be like that spongeboy post of several months ago.:D

Latest resources

Back