Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To unionize or not to unionize. That is the question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

To those airline pilots flying the friendly skies. If you had a chance, would you and your fellow pilots prefer to be apart of a union or tell the unions to go to hell. Is union leadership for your pilot group truly working in your best interest?

Is management working on your best interest? JB and vx were the last major airlines to be non union. The only regional I can think of is sky west.

This is a union profession and an unfortunate nessesary evil of our careers.

Find an example -- just one -- of a union pilot group that voted to do away with collective bargaining in favor of a more "direct relationship" with management.

The only aviation related example coming to my mind are the DL flight attendants (non-union). Never figured that one out.

When you get to a certain size you almost need a union in order that there be one voice speaking for the pilots. Originally Posted by Lake Alice View Post
In the end Unions are a necessary evil. But a union is no guarantee of job security, more pay or more days off. This comes from an ex ALPA and IBT member whose companies no longer exist. Trouble is the necessity often turns evil. The union activists that move to the forefront of union leadership continue to sell the promises of increased pay, days off and benefits in order justify the union?s existence and why the pilots are paying dues. Until of course you have all your days off and no pay. The defiant battle cry of we will show them who is boss rings through the union halls in defiance of the reality of the airline marketplace.

Last edited:
The problem with unions is the pilots who are elected. It doesn't take long for them to settle in and get used to being home every night, expensive dinners on my dime, never work holidays, when they do travel they stay in better hotels. Some pick up trips on the side and make a killing. It happens in every Union I've been in. (5) for me. Before some jackleg gets on here to tell me what a huge sacrifice they made in their union. I'll just say this, if it was worse than line flying you'd be back on line. I have yet to be associated with a union that hasn't been accused (with good reason) of acting in this manner.

The problem with unions is the pilots who are elected. It doesn't take long for them to settle in and get used to being home every night, expensive dinners on my dime, never work holidays, when they do travel they stay in better hotels. Some pick up trips on the side and make a killing. It happens in every Union I've been in. (5) for me. Before some jackleg gets on here to tell me what a huge sacrifice they made in their union. I'll just say this, if it was worse than line flying you'd be back on line. I have yet to be associated with a union that hasn't been accused (with good reason) of acting in this manner.

That reminds me where is PLC?

Latest resources

Back