• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the ADMIN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sometimes the rhetoric from both sides can be a bit much, but it sure makes for good reading. Personally, if the discussions were banned, or limited in any way, I would be upset. If the board were restricted to the point that all it consisted of were topics such as "When do YOU apply carb heat" or "Need advice for proper interview shoes" and "With 342 hours TT should I buy 100 hours in a B727 or Get a 737 type rating" that would be the end for me.

I like the boards the way they are. Maybe one additional forum that was dedicated to the scope debates, but in reality, it really does encompass many facets of the industry and as such is germane to many discussions that are in various forums.

If you are that bored by a topic that is THE most important issue to anyone who is, or hopes to be a professional pilot, than stick your head back in the sand and read FLYING magazine.

Sorry FL, but I gotta disagree. My informal numbers say that the majority of the participants on this board are professional pilots or aspiring professional pilots; and this profession is in a state of transitition that could change it forever. I conclude that this area of discussion is the most worthy thing that we could be talking about. Like yourself, I get bogged down with the repetitiveness of the discussion, but sometimes a fact/thought springs up that greatly increases my understanding of the situation and I'm glad that I took the time to wade through it.

Maybe you should push for the idea that Surplus1 has, start a seperate page for non-industry issues.

regards
8N

I for one, although not always in the mood for reading about scope clauses and why RJs are from hell, like having everthing at an arms length. I am still very new to this industry and these discussions were (notice past tense) informative. These types aof issues are a wake up for future dealings in the industry. To a point they are beneficial to this posting community with the many viewpoints that are offered helping to see all sides of the situation.THis being the "general" board, I think it is somewhat ridiculous to move them. These issues although insdustry changing, will not be around forever. They will be resolved, and its silly to create another section of the board for them.

The point made above is true. If you dont want to read it, then dont. I guess the only thing can be really said is kind of a well duh but I shall say it anyway. Why must the same issues be re-hashed over and over again. Why must the threads be revived with the same nonsense and arguments. Every time that time-building in a B727 comes up I am astounded....it has been mulled over too many times, but yet still people decide to comment on it. So guess what, I dont read it. Its simple as that. But, it nice to have it all in the general forum, where it belongs.

OMHO

Ali
BTW, please note the level of training attained, so you may no that I have hidden agenda...

Last edited:
Leave it the way it is. Are we really getting so lazy we can't scan through or simply ignore things which don't interest us?
Kumbaya, yall.

If you've been around these boards long enough you'll recall that on the old Aviation Message Board PFT discussions were banned.

Your statement is not true. I've been reading this message board for several years and through several board overhauls. Although banning PFT discussion was discussed by a few posters, I don't remember, at anytime, that PFT discussions were indiscriminately banned by the board administrator. Perhaps the admin could comment.

Last edited:
flpilot

"The main forum should be reserved for peace loving folk who are simply looking for advice and information"

All right then! We just have a section titled "Advice and Information". See, your a genious!
:p

Since neither Admin or Webmaster have responded, let me give some guidance:

First of all, PFT was never "banned". You can talk about it all you want, as long as the conversation remains civil. Unfortunately, that conversation never remains civil for long, so the moderators step in. We just spread the word that when it becomes uncivil it will be shut down.

I feel the same way about the RJDC threads. In a thread whose topic is devoted to RJDC/scope type issues, you know what you're getting into when you click on it. As long as it doesn't turn into a bash session or 10 pages of repetition, I say let it alone.

On the other hand, I know what you are talking about when an unrelated topic is "hijacked" into an RJDC debate because one poster brings that into the discussion and everybody else follows. This sort of thing is rather annoying because you have to wade through pages of stuff untrlated to the original discussion topic.
To address this, we have asked, and continue to ask posters to only make replies to the original topic. It is up to the posters to keep a topic on track. When a topic goes astray, it is a moderators job to bring it back to the topic, whether that means offering guidance, deleting/moving posts or in extreme cases, closing the topic.
If you want to make a post that isn't a direct response to something said in a thread, simply start a new topic and go from there.

I agree with FLpilot that some, but not all, RJDC supporters deliberately try to bring the RJDC into unrelated topics as a means to "evangelize" the "non believers". Though this hasn't been bad lately, we continue to frown on this and it will be dealt with on a case by case basis through the "report a post to a moderator" function and through moderators browsing.

Regards,
If4f, Moderator

Nice

ifly4food,

Ironic you're one of the only ones who actually "got" my post. The "hijacking" of threads and the evangelical style of the RJDC supporters was the main point I was trying to make, you just managed to express it more eloquently than I did. I think you have offered some reasonable solutions and I hope that some of the "offenders" will do a better job of policing themselves from now on. Thank you!

FLpilot

Latest resources

Back