Titan Tornado

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ypres

I'm lookimg for some feedback on the Titan Tornado. Anyone here ever flown / owned one ? What is your opinion ? Should I have posted this on the Experimental thread ?

hello, i am a former titan aircraft dealer and 737 capt. i have built 2 tornado s-models and 2 ss-models with rotax 912s and jabiru 2200 engines. i currently have around 500 hours in every model torando ever built except for the orginial part 103 ultralight version. what would like to know about them?

they are great airplanes from a great company. the majority of the tornados you will find on the used market will be D-models. this model has the very small back seat and the aileron torque tube just behind the pilot seat and in front of the passnegers head. this model is very cramped for normal sized people and with a 4 stroke engine normally sell in the $15k-25K range depending on engine, avionics, paint, etc. the next model is the s-model. it has a larger rear seat and the aileron torque tube is behind the rear seat. this model has a 23 1/2ft wing as standard and is the best bng for the buck tornado out there. this model does not have alot of examples out there due to it only being introduced in 2004. if buying a new kit, i would highly recommend looking at this one. a used s-model would normally sell for $25k-35k. the next model is the ss-model, it only has apprx 10 examples built and flying and are nearly impossible to find used. i do know of 2 of them for sell that are beautiful. the ss-model has a full size reclining back seat, titanium gear legs and the 26 1/2ft wing standard. the 2 that i know of for sell has the optional 23 1/2 ft wing for higher cruise speeds. one of the planes is the green/white/black checkered board tailed airplane on the titan website under ss-model. i built the plane and sold it to a customer in CA. he wants to sell it for $49k. he paid ALOT more than that. the other airplane is a white with vinyl graphics ship with a glass cockpit. he is asking $42k for it. it is not a pretty paint scheme, but it was built by a customer of mine who is a delta mech. both of the planes have the rotax912s engine.

a new ss-model with a rotax 912s engine complete with paint, avionics, wheel pants, shipping etc. will run you around $55-60k to build. they are very expensive planes to build new.

all of these planes are great 115 mph cruise airplanes with a 2 hour and reserve range. i have flown the 8 hours in a day and it is very comfortable. the reclined front seat gives awesome visiblity and it feels like a mini fighter in the air. the layout really brings out the fighter pilot. the handling of the 23ft wings are snappy and the 26ft wing gets a little roll heavy above 100mph but climbs like there is no tommorrow.

i would not recommend buying one of these planes and jumping in alone for the first time. the high thrust line pushers take a little different technique in the certain situations due to the adding of power pushes the nose over. please get an instructor to take you around the pattern who in familar with this layout.

i am no longer a a titan dealer. i have moved on to rotorway jetexec helicopters but if you need any further info or transition training in the southeast US, i still help out from time to time.

check out my former company website for more info about the torandos i have built and ideas on how to equip them. if i can help out or if you have any further queston, let me know. i would be glad to help if i can.

http://ngasportplanes.tripod.com

Latest resources

Back