tidbit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

Interesting thought, from the latest Aviation Week...n two incidents since 1998 -- involving a Delta
MD-88 and an AirTran DC-9 -- pilots and flight
attendants debated whether to use Halon fire
extinguishers on areas where smoke was coming
from because, unsure of each fire's seriousness,
they feared the chemical would do more harm
than good. In a third, in 2000, an above-ceiling fire
was rapidly blistering ceiling panels in an
American MD-82's main cabin. The fire was put
out only after a passenger pulled a knife from his
carry-on bag and cut a hole in the panels, giving
an extinguisher-toting flight attendant a clear shot
at the flames. Each incident ended with safe
emergency landings and evacuations, with only a
few minor injuries reported....Current security regulations banning knives and
other sharp instruments mean the odds of finding
a tool to cut one's way to an in-flight fire are not
good.

aren't crash axes still in the cockpit?

I wonder what would have happened to that crew that evacuated for "smoke" when it only vapor from the air conditioning....could you imagine chopping up the cockpit with the crash axe....DOH!

Crash axe has to stay on the flight deck to take care of the terrorist that lit the fire as a diversion. If the crew runs for the crash axe the terrorist gets access to the flight deck at the perfect moment. Could be happening at this moment....how is my thinking avbug....on the right track.;)

Yes, or so the germans would have us believe!

How soon we forget the bear. Perhaps that's for the best, because if the public got wind of it (how can one not, around a bear??), it would take the surprise (not to mention the fun) right out of it.

I have long been a proponent of placing bears on board domestic airliners (overseas flag operations are a risk; the former USSR alternately worships them or makes rugs of them, the europeans are afraid of them, and everywhere else they eat them, except australia, where most commonly they're mistaken for koalas with thyroid problems).

Bears are the perfect soloutions. It's an established fact, yet not one airline has made a move to include them on the flight deck, the forward lav, or the first class section (where they sit among passengers and are disguised with a moustache and newspaper).

I support arming crews with squirter bottles filled with fish guts and chicken grease. Spray the attackers, watch the bears eat.

Why waste a good crash axe?

Light the bear grease that stuff really burns, you can get one of those plastic lighters through security no problem. I am out the door for another adventure in the aviation world, Keflivik, have fun and enjoy life.

avbug said:
...Current security regulations banning knives and other sharp instruments mean the odds of finding a tool to cut one's way to an in-flight fire are not good.

Avbug, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been ranting for a month that security needs to be tighter? Now you're decrying the removal of our knives? Which is it? :confused:

You keep mentioning "ranting,", but I haven't been on any emotional rage of late.

The comments to which you refer in quotes are a direct quote removed from the latest electronic mailing of Aviation Week and Space Technology. Take it for what it's worth, and take your issue up with them, not with me. I found the comment interesting.

If you don't care for my comments, then skip them. Go elsewhere. Read someone else's comments. Don't be burdened by a thing I have to offer. In this particular case, don't shoot the messenger; the post simply passed along info sent out into the public domain, which appeared to be of some interest.

If I "rant," you'll know.

Reality Check

avbug said:

If I "rant," you'll know.

Reality chech, my friend. Your average post seems to be over three paragraphs long. Sometimes you you write a daily assignment, sometimes you write a term paper.

You must understand, that in todays ten second sound bite society, anything longer than two lines is a rant.

I guess that you are blessed with the ability to think coherantly and type fast at the same time. I respect that ability, largely because I can't seem to do it myself.

Keep on doing what you do. I sometimes can't see things from your point of view, but I enjoy reading your work.

regards

Latest resources

Back