• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

this question was asked on another board

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is not my question, someone else posted it on another board. I'm just not sure of the answer so I thought someone here could help.

Is it realistic for an aircraft to fly 1200knots /hr at just under 5000 feet, I thought the density of air will not allow an aircraft to travel at that speed. They will only fly at that speed at very much higher altitudes. Can anyone explain please?
Thanks.

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID10/18198.html

I don't see how the density of the air could stop a plane with a big enough engine from going mach 2.5 at 5000'. It's the 6th response to the original post. If you don't mind, post the answer their.
thanks

And if their are any tomcat drivers out their, is the cockpit picture in post 4 anything like the real thing?

thanks again.

Last edited:
snoopy_1 said:

I don't see how the density of the air could stop a plane with a big enough engine from going mach 2.5 at 5000'. It's the 6th response to the original post. If you don't mind, post the answer their.
thanks

And if their are any tomcat drivers out their, is the cockpit picture in post 4 anything like the real thing?

Thrust, aerodynamic pressure, and skin friction are a few reasons why none of the fighters in that list (not sure about the F-22) could do 2.5 at 5K. Maybe the MiG-25 and F-111 could do that up in the bozosphere, but not down at low altitude. In the F-15E, our Vne is defined by the max skin friction temperature, although with our -220 motors there's not a chance that we could ever get there before running out of gas. Other airplanes have parts of the airplane that would just plain structurally fail at that speed. I wonder what the G-available would be if you were doing M2.5 at 5K!

I'm not a Tomcat pilot, but that cockpit is definitely NOT from an F-14. Looks like an early F-16 to me. I especially like how whoever's flying is running a HUD repeater over there on the left MPD where the radar should be...very tactical, especially when there's a real HUD to use right above it.

In the F-111 you could fly fast enough to melt the front windows. There was timer that started counting down when you reached a certain total air temp to let you know how much time you had before that happened.

I flew the EF-111, which could step up to around 530 knots at low altitude. I think the more powerful F-111F could get up past 600. I don't think there have been many airplanes that were faster than an Ardvark down low.

Jim

Last edited:
snoopy_1 said:

thanks again.

Almost 100% sure that cockpit is from the game Falcon 4.0, an f-16 sim. If it isn't it was ripped from the game, used to play it a lot.

I am just an average caveman, who really doesn't know the ins and outs of aerodynamics, but I just came home from an exchange tour flying F-3 Tornados. It is a swing wing (poor turn performance but great speed!) I've seen 750 kts+ in the HUD at 250'. Some guys talk about seeing 800+, but I beg to differ

Latest resources

Back