• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

Mechanic sucked into Air China engine.
Associated Press

TOKYO (AP) - A Chinese mechanic was killed Thursday after he was sucked into one of the engines of an Air China jet as it pulled away from the airport gate, officials said.
Air China flight 928, carrying 211 passengers and seven crew, was to take off from Osaka's Kansai International Airport for Beijing when the incident occurred, said Junichi Odawara of the Kansai airport police.

The plane's engine was badly damaged and the flight was canceled, he said.

Odawara said witnesses saw the man sprint to one of the plane's wing engines, which pulled him in with the force of its rotating turbines.

Hiroshi Kato, another airport police official, said investigators were investigating the possibility that the man, identified as 39-year-old Zhang Xinmin, committed suicide.

Air China officials weren't immediately available for comment.

Kansai airport officials said there were no other flights to Beijing Thursday, and that passengers were expected to stay in Japan overnight.

Osaka is 255 miles west of Tokyo.

Crazy...

Why couldn't he just swallow a pistol like a normal person? ;-)

Holy Cow

Boscenter--
You have been up my a$$ all day, haven't you?!! :) I know it's sick humor, but they said "suicide", not me. If that truely was the case, I can think of a dozen better ways to do it than running into a jet engine!

I believe it was last year that a food handler was drawn into the intake on the starboard engine on a 727. Meals were being loaded and for whatever reason, that engine was turning. The F/O was in the cockpit when a F/A came running, telling him to shut down; someone had just gone up the intake.

The man lived, though I bet he still has nightmares.

Have you guys ever seen that Navy video of the guy getting sucked into an A-6? He went into the intake like a leaf! He lived too, but I bet he soiled his drawers!

That Navy guy lived didnt he. It sucked him in head first.

That Navy tape with the guy getting sucked into an A-6 was incredible! I watched it in an accident investigation class I took in college. From what I remember, they were practicing night operations on a carrier with all (or most) off the lights out. For some reason this guy went to do something by the nose gear just as the pilot started up. As he stood up he was sucked into the intake head first and the engine flamed out. After the engine was shut down other people came to the plane to investigate what happened. The guy crawled out of the intake without anyone noticing him because it was so dark until someone actually stumbled over him. Oh, and yes the guy lived. Can you imagine what a great bar story that guy has!

Well it seems that Air China is having its own set of problems right now.

Latest resources

Back