The SWA Pool is about to Drain...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dhampton,
Are you saying JM called and offered you a possible class date.
There are over 30 guys ahead of you on the pool list. This doesn't even include the ones that we don't know about. What is the story here. I was by my phone all day and all week and didn't get a call. I think you're just blowing smoke.
MLBWINGBORN's news is awesome however and hopefully every one will receive a call soon.
Orion:cool: :cool: :cool:

Order of Selection

Perhaps selection is based on either date of interview or date
of type exclusive of pool letter date. If so, only the first two colums will be of any significance. Just food for thought. Sure is great to see people on the list selected!

Rowel

poolie order

Onion, For what it is worth, I took the poolie list and put it in excel format and ranked ordered people in different ways. It is my belief that using the "pool date" works for folks like you and me who interviewed before getting the type. But those who interviewed with the type seem to have dates closer to their interview date. That puts dham about a month ahead of you. Still there are a lot of folks out there who are "ahead of" dham ... how about it skypig, bino, grama, pilot4swa? Do you guys have dates?

Class date order

I was told class date is predicated upon interview date/time for those who had the type when interviewed. I don't know about those who got the type after the interview. BTW, I just interviewed last week and I'm waiting for the decision board. Great news about the new class dates and increase in class size.
Conrgrat MLB!

I am unable to get out of the NAV until May. I had been previously called in DEC to see if I was available for a Jan date. So no date for me as of yet. See ya all around.

Skypig

Fun with numbers

I went through the list and gave everyone a "composite date" that was based on simply adding their interview month to their type month. I only used the "pool date" to rank guys with the same "composite score," and I gave a score of "0" if you got your type in 2000 or earlier. If you interviewed in March, and were typed in June, your score is 3+6=9. In the case of ties, I used pool date. Here's how the list changes based on just those two dates, for all the guys (not Stop-lossed) in the pool by September...

Sorted by type/interview "composite date" first, then by "pool date."

Name...............Score........Class

Jesse................6...........1/17
Shamufme.............8...........
Vikingpilotfriend....8...........
Falcon1..............9...........
Hungary..............9...........1/03
70734guy............10...........1/17
Buddy...............11...........1/03
LJ..................11...........1/17
N1atmax.............11...........2/21 (1/31 now?)
Rail55..............12...........
Dhampton............12...........1/31
Fredguy.............13...........1/17
Spife...............13...........1/31
MLBwingborn.........13...........1/31
Bino................13...........1/31
JWalk...............13...........
Canyonblue..........13...........
JBall...............13...........
Jodesbeininjax......13...........
Vikingpilot.........13...........
PhillipSpatz........13...........
Pilot4SWA...........13...........2/14
Oriondriver.........14...........
Loungelizard........14...........
Flufdriver..........15...........
Xhercdriver.........15...........
Romeo...............15...........
Ultrapilot..........15...........
Emb120..............15...........
Rowel...............15...........
Gimpat31............15...........
Veeonerot8..........16...........
KT..................17...........

Now, if you want to use some statistics, instead of lies or dammed lies ;) then you'll note that the best we've done is put about 4 guys in any one class, so our pre-9/11 list probably constitutes about 20% of the actual pre-9/11 pool. That means we'd probably put about 5 or so in each class of 26. So, if your "score" is 13 or 14, it's likely that you've got a February class date. 15-17, probably March. I was told a week ago I was "probably" going to the first April class, and Jennifer claimed no knowledge of any extra Jan/Feb classes, so I'm guessing that I would move up a class or two, which the "score" shows. That also means if you were told "probably not by April," you may be back in the game :)

Of course, my theory and $0.59 will get you a Biggie-size for your Wendy's combo after the 3rd leg of your 8-leg trip from Hobby to El Paso, so... ;)

Last edited:
Hi OrionDriver,

The airline industry is a fairly volitile place (with very few exceptions like SWA). Most of the people on this site (myself included) have at some point in their career, been furloughed or layed off from a flying job. That's just the way it goes at most other airlines. There are many fine aviators who are on the street right now, trying to find any kind of work to support their families.

So, now let's look at your situation. You have become EXTREMELY blessed to be in the pool at SWA. There are thousands of UA, AA and DAL pilots who would love to be in your position. As a fellow poolie, I am excited about getting a class date in the future, but be careful not to let excitement turn into frustration. Our time will come...and sooner than we thought, it appears!

Best regards

VeeOneRot8:)

Some thoughts on the pool

Hi everyone,

Okay, here's what I came up with in my "pea brain." I spoke with Jennifer today, and she stated there will be 22 people in the Jan 17th class, 26 people in the Jan 31st class and 24 to 26 people in subsequent classes. Sooo... with 3 January classes and 2 classes per month after that, I'm guessing there will be anywhere from 210 to 224 pilots hired by the end of April. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this.) Now, there is a standing rumor from "within the company" that there were 165 pilots in the pool as of about one week ago. It would seem to me that everyone who is currently in the pool will be on the property by the April 18th class. (Clear as mud? ):confused:

This theory may have holes as big as... well... as big as whatever... you may want to fill the blank there. But consider this: people who were being scheduled for January interviews were apparently being told they'd be in by April IF they were successful in the interview. Seems to jive, eh??

If anyone is reading this and has recently interviewed (or will do so soon), then please pass along any scoop you may get from any tours/briefings from the Flight Ops people.

Regards,

UAL737inLA

BTW: Hey SWA FO, I like "SWAinOAK"... a 15 minute drive to ONT and a nice short commute from ONT to OAK sounds good to me. (PHX would be great too but better seniority in OAK from what I can gather in my aforementioned "pea brain."

JM returned my call from yesterday. I was gone, so this is comming from my wife.

Expect a class on Feb 14 depending on the stop loss situation. Great news!!

Oriondriver .........nevermind.

Latest resources

Back