• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Interview Suit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys, what is with the "red" tie? Give me a break. Look sharp, and act professional. You get the job based on you, not your tie.

Who cares, pick the one that you like, and be yourself. Enjoy it! You may get it or you might not. But remember, what's the worst that can happen? You are the same as you are today. WHO CARES! Be able to look back and say "hey, I did my best, if they don't want me, I don't want them!"

Good Luck

Bottom line: it doesn't matter that much what your color choices are, just keep it within the realm of reason and you'll be fine.

However, for God's sake: GET THE SUIT TAILORED!!! I swear, the past number of times I've seen pilots in interviews or have been at one myself I have shaken my head in disbelief...very nice suits will very quickly make you look homeless unless they fit right, and NO suit fits off the 'rack', no matter what your girlfriend says.

Seriously, even if you bought the suit at wal-mart, go see a tailor.

Oh, and one last thing for all you guys who apparently grew up never wearing anything more formal than a windbreaker-that tag that is attached to the outer left jacket cuff (usually it's sewn on at four points and is about 2" x 1/2")...TAKE IT OFF! It is not meant to stay on!

So, let me pool the group. Which color of suit is better for an interview: Black or Navy Blue?

As far as ties go, I would assume red or blue with a white shirt.

I am interviewing with NWA soon.

Jet Driver,

I do some of the interviewing at JetBlue and I can tell you that it is just fine to blend in with the crowd as far as how you are dressed.

Tie pulled up tight, etc.

Your personality should shine, and it's OK if that stands out, a little. You want them to remember you.

Navy or Black suit doesn't really matter. Dress in what you are most comfortable. If I see that a person made an attempt to look nice, that's all I care about.

Know some details about the company, and have a few well thought out questions ready for the end.

Smile from the time you leave your house until you get back home.

If you are interviewing with two people, divide your eye scan between both of them, don't lock in on one person.

Good luck.

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, but can we please have a moratorium (or ban) on "interview suit" threads?

This has been discussed ad nauseam. Are pilots the only group of people that believe the fallacy that wearing the "right" suit will get you the job?

Wear a suit that fits properly, is comfortable, conservative, and looks professional. Same goes for the tie.

Do not look like a pimp, or try to look funny.

More importantly, act like a professional, be confident, make eye contact, have your paperwork in order, and have a smile on your face.

I would highly recommend an interview prep service, whether you think you need it or not. I used Emerald Coast, and found it well worth the investment.

It is a competitive market (majors), and it will only get tougher in the next few years.

Last edited:
Oh, and one last thing for all you guys who apparently grew up never wearing anything more formal than a windbreaker-that tag that is attached to the outer left jacket cuff (usually it's sewn on at four points and is about 2" x 1/2")...TAKE IT OFF! It is not meant to stay on!

That bothers me too. Are they flaunting the brand or just plain ignorant? Me thinks the latter.

Raskal,

Did you wear your pink tie to the Mesaba interview?

Latest resources

Back