• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The end of Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are a fool, you don't even know what I think. I have voted Republican, Democrat, and Libertarian in my lifetime. I own a lot of gold. So read between the lines..

But making a lame political grandstand and quoting Fox News in this thread makes you a jerk and an opportunist. Lots of good people will be out of a job. That is what matters here.

I'm not going to waste ANY time arguing politics with you. Anyone who clips info from either solely Fox or solely MSNBC doesn't have an open mind.

That's right, I am a fool. What? Wait, I'm the jerk? Who said the following:

"Per the Obama comment, you clearly are a F*&^Tard."

Classy. You have no facts. You can't support your comments. You clearly don't understand the implications of 4 more years of poor economics - otherwise you would be ALARMED.All you can do is slam people who don't agree with your politics. Facts are what count - and you offer no facts. Nice to know that you watch Fox News.

Here's one sad fact: unless they can line-up jobs quickly, these Comair employees will unfortunately be joining the millions and millions of unemployed people in the US - and they will face the same low-growth, aimless, rudderless economy unless economic policy actually becomes the number one priority - not green energy or adding to the thousands of regulations killing business growth.

Think about the following questions. If you are a small business owner, can you afford the legal fees to ensure that you are complying with new Obamacare or Dodd/Frank regulations? How can you add jobs when you have to pay lawyers and consultants to ensure you are in compliance with these thousands of new rules? Answer that. Since my parents own a small business, I know how they feel about adding new jobs. Why add jobs when automation does not require mandatory new health insurance coverage? The point: nobody can afford 4 more years of what we have now and it doesn't look like it will change for the better any time soon. It may actually get much worse...

Deep down, everyone knows that it is time for a change. You don't reward failure with 4 more years - regardless of how likeable, articulate and inspiring the person is. Whenever Obama brings up issues like tax returns, Bain, the Top 1%, paying a fair share, health care in Massachussets, etc. - just remember the current and growing unemployment rate. Like our escalating national debt, unemployment is getting worse by the day. That's the point. There are too many unemployed people in this country. Results and facts matter.

Good luck to all of the Comair employees and their families...:(

so other airlines that Delta owned are thriving? Are you talking about Mesaba or Pinnacle? Oh wait, it must be ASA-who was actually sold to a company run with good business and profit/survivability in mind. Lets just see who survives when the ATP rule is instituted. It will all be about who can attract pilots to plug the holes of the majors hiring. But regionals and thriving should not be used together

Yeah, as a former Comair employee I was SO inspired that the union took the stand when nobody else would and began the most expensive and scope limiting contract in the industry.

JC and Cory must be proud of the demise of greatest regional airline ever, for it was the two of them that decided Comair needed to be different than all the others and be used as an example. Had that 2001 contract been negotiated on good faith, Comair would be thriving today. This wasn't a Delta problem it was a union problem.

As Lorenzo is blamed for the shutdown at Eastern, JC and Cory are equally at blame for the shutdown of Comair. They should live in equal infamy.

Unbelievable. JC and Cory had the balls to stand up and try to make the regionals a place worthy of a career, and you heap derision on them? I certainly don't agree with everything that JC did or said, but he was a good man and a good trade unionist, and he should be thanked for his many years of hard work. The same goes for Cory.

My sympathies for everyone at Comair. You guys ran a great airline, stood up for this profession repeatedly, and you should be proud of the airline that you helped build, even though Delta may be tearing it down now. You'll all be in my prayers.

It was a great place to work post buyout. The 89 day gap during 2001 for no reason is what began the end.

AFTER the 89 day gap is when the culture changed. It was never the same.

This wasn't Delta's fault, it was the union and the continued interference every time Delta wanted to bring new aircraft on the property or make the cost structure competitive.

It's amazing to me that the elephant in the room isn't being addressed in this forum, because it can happen again and everybody is ignoring it.

The other regionals formally owned by Delta are thriving, so what does Comair have that the others don't?

A union that killed the golden goose...

Cant speak to the flying side as I was working in CS. All I can say is post buyout all the decent managers started bailing left and right (guess they must have known something), then we lost our profit sharing, and the strike was the final blow. To me the downhill slide started right after the buyout, and the strike just made a bad situation worse. I left about 8 months after the strike.

Regionals thriving? I doubt anyone from Mesaba or ASA would agree with you.

Too bad Mueller didn't try and make go of it on his own. Comair had a solid management team and it would have been interesting to see how they would have fared. Oh well......

Would be really ironic if Mueller bought the certificate back for $5 or so after selling it to Delta for $1.5 billion.

If I were a Delta employee or investor I would be hanging my head in shame as my company just took a $1.5 billion dollar asset and turned into into a smoking hole in the ground. Not one of Delta's proudest moments.

Last edited:
So after all these years, Comair will now be just a flight school located in Sanford, Florida.

Very sad.

Last edited:
So after all these years, Comair will now be just a flight school located in Sanford, Florida.

Very sad.

Actually I don't think the Comair name is on the school anymore as Delta sold it to somebody else and is now called the Aerosim Flight Academy.

Unbelievable. JC and Cory had the balls to stand up and try to make the regionals a place worthy of a career, and you heap derision on them? I certainly don't agree with everything that JC did or said, but he was a good man and a good trade unionist, and he should be thanked for his many years of hard work. The same goes for Cory.

My sympathies for everyone at Comair. You guys ran a great airline, stood up for this profession repeatedly, and you should be proud of the airline that you helped build, even though Delta may be tearing it down now. You'll all be in my prayers.

Unbelievable? BS.

I was sitting about 10 feet from Cory when he gave his famous "on behalf of all the aviation professionals at Comair" speech at the company meeting when Seibs put him back in his place. I, like most of the group in the room was insulted as he sure as hell wasn't speaking for me.

Now THAT was unbelievable.

They had an agenda, and that agenda was to squeeze every penny out of a very well run airline and to establish a new pay scale within the regional industry. They failed to do that, the strike didn't have to happen and the company was never the same. Comair today should be stronger than any regional out there. Comair was the best managed airline in those years and had a company culture second to none.

I meant exactly what I said and I know I'm not the only one that feels the way I do.

Lorenzo will forever be identified with Eastern and JC and Cory should forever be identified as responsible for the demise of Comair.

Wow, look at the hostility. I think the vast majority of Comair employees are good people that now find themselves in a bad situation, a lot like many of our furloughed people after 9-11. Losing your job is not a good thing, and I wish those good people the best of luck landing a better job.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Finally a post you can be proud of. I usually don't like reading your posts, but that was well said. To all comair employees, I am sorry. You deserve better. Thank you for making my life, and the lives of thousands of airlines emplyoyees better.. best wishes. You are welcome on my jumpseat anytime.

Finally a post you can be proud of. I usually don't like reading your posts, but that was well said. To all comair employees, I am sorry. You deserve better. Thank you for making my life, and the lives of thousands of airlines emplyoyees better.. best wishes. You are welcome on my jumpseat anytime.

And it only took him 15,929 posts to get there!

Are you kidding me?

I take one good thing from our demise......JC lost his job finally although he has been "retired" for years with all the money he has made off Comair Stock back in the day.

I had the displeasure of flying with him and you couldn't pick a worse captain to fly with! Ask his son how his Delta interview went? I feel bad for his son! I still remember our first leg out of JFK when I moved to the 70/90. And I quote "Ummm have you ever flown this departure before." I had already been up at JFK for 2 years at the time flying the ghetto crusier. First time I had ever thought about taking over the plane if we had an emergency. I could go into more detail about his lack of basic knowledge.

I guess JC is laughing all the way to the bank! Cory is no better having bided his time and moved on to ALPA national. I still have to live with his behind closed doors LOA's he made with scheduling!

Glad it's over with! Finally closure! I finally took a dump that has been held in for 6 years! What do I have to show for it.....nothing! 3000 SIC hrs in a CRJ! And don't play the "should have moved on argument on me"! Chasing an upgrade never works. The proverbial carrot! We still have guys waiting for an upgrade at the newest low bidder in the DCI system!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back