The best ANG/AFRES fighter units?

SMan

Total Time
70 hrs
Just for curiosity’s sake, I wanted to pick the brains of some of the experienced fighter guys concerning which ANG/AFRES units are currently viewed, or have the history of being viewed, as a top-notch unit? It seems that there are definitely gaps when comparing one unit to the next.

If I was to ask a pilot from any ANG/AFRES unit to name the top units in the country, would he/she have to think about it, or is there a general knowledge/perception in the fighter community as to which ones are the best?

Feel free to comment on the tanker/transport/helo community as well.

Thanks!
SMan

av8instyle

Above Average Member
Total Time
best units

Although I can't really say which units are better than others, I can say that some seem to get a lot of publicity and tasking, and are harder to get into, such as Buckley, CO., South Carolina, and AFRES at Carswell, TX.

SMan

Total Time
70 hrs
I forgot to add the request that when providing a reply, please state any reasons behind your opinions, ie. *why* you feel certain units are better than others.

I am under the impression that Buckley is a highly *political* environment....? Maybe a contributing factor for the publicity, the tasking and the difficulty of getting in?

bssthound

Enormous Member
Total Time
xx00
I'd say the best unit would be the one that
hires you!!

The only best unit I know of is the Hurricane
Hunters at Keesler AFB. That's because we're the
only unit who does that mission.