• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thanks to all 182 drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like a lot of good advise. I may have missed it, but do you have a carb temp gauge? One thing that you mentioned seemed to stick out at me. You said something about always keeping a little carb heat on. Without a carb temp gauge that could be causing you a lot of trouble. With partial carb heat on, you can raise the temp in the carb to a temperature that can be very conductive to carb icing, (even when it's pretty cold, or warm out). I would recommend only using full carb heat when conditions warrant (low power, or suspected carb icing) or none. If you don't have the temp gauge, you could be causing yourself a lot of trouble with carb icing. Also if you think you are getting carb ice, be patient and let the carb heat work. Also even with the carb heat on, during a low power descent, you may not be generating enough heat to solve the problem. I know it is counterproductive when flying jumpers, but you may need to add power to near cruise settings to generate enough heat to melt the ice. May cause you a little more time between jumps, but better than having the engine shut down! Low power settings don't generate very much heat at all, so just another thing to consider. Hope this helps, and good luck getting back on line, hopefully soon!

Latest resources

Back