Tax free salary

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fareview,

I didin't actually live there altough it seemed like I did! I worked for Atlas on the 400 which basically meant you flew for Emirates Skycargo which meant lotsa days/night/weeks in Dubai over the last two years.

I know a few emirates guys and alot more by association with the JAA capts at Atlas. They all say one thing. They are looking for the exit sign. The place is basically the platinum handcuffs. No union no work rules that are set and lots of pushing the outer edge of crew duty and staffing.

As for Dubai, Bad traffic, Super high cost of living (beyond the "included housing"), and the overall understanding that you round eye are just the help! The Emiraties are your superiors in everyway! It is their country after all and that's how your treated.

I should reiterate I do not nor have I worked for emirates (mainline)! Only passing along my impressions of Dubai and other's impression of Emirates.

Caveat Emptor

Bman

I've said this before and I'll say it again, being an expat is not for everybody. It takes a certain set of character traits to be successful as an expat. Americans, in general, do not have the experience that the English do at living/working away from their home country. They also don't have the tax advantages.

Emirates works really well for some people. If does not work well for others. I consistently tell younger pilots that moving overseas to work is not a good idea. Those in the 20s and early 30s should look at the major airlines in their home country prior to going overseas. Even those in their late 30s andearly 40s need to consider all the angles carefully. Career goals, family considerations, etc all play a major factor in ones happiness overseas.

Emirates has been great for me and I enjoy my life in Dubai. I do not feel that I work too hard ( most of the time ). I do feel I have been treated fairly ( most of the time ).

Dubai itself can be a challenge to live in and one can be the victim of unfortuate events, but where on the planet is that not the case?

Typhoonpilot

If you leave your money in a bank in Dubai and use a visa/visa checkcard wherever and dont bring money into the us, what are the tax laws then. Youare coming in 2-3 months a year but not bringing in money. can the irs find money you have earned elsewhere and try to tax you

can the irs find money you have earned elsewhere and try to tax you

Yes, but more than that they will throw your butt in jail for tax evasion. As a U.S. citizen you must file your taxes and report your global income. It's so much easier to pay the little bit of tax you owe and sleep soundly than to worry about all the angles to dodge the tax man.

Typhoonpilot

If you leave your money in a bank in Dubai and use a visa/visa checkcard wherever and dont bring money into the us, what are the tax laws then. Youare coming in 2-3 months a year but not bringing in money. can the irs find money you have earned elsewhere and try to tax you

My plan is to renounce my American citizenship while I am overseas. Then when I wish to return I will pay a working girl a couple thousand for an arranged marriage. I'll save a bunch of money and might even get some strange.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, being an expat is not for everybody. It takes a certain set of character traits to be successful as an expat. Americans, in general, do not have the experience that the English do at living/working away from their home country. They also don't have the tax advantages.

Emirates works really well for some people. If does not work well for others. I consistently tell younger pilots that moving overseas to work is not a good idea. Those in the 20s and early 30s should look at the major airlines in their home country prior to going overseas. Even those in their late 30s andearly 40s need to consider all the angles carefully. Career goals, family considerations, etc all play a major factor in ones happiness overseas.

Emirates has been great for me and I enjoy my life in Dubai. I do not feel that I work too hard ( most of the time ). I do feel I have been treated fairly ( most of the time ).

Dubai itself can be a challenge to live in and one can be the victim of unfortuate events, but where on the planet is that not the case?

Typhoonpilot

Typhoon,I have a quick question for you. Do you think you'll retire from emirates? I'm unsure of your current age, but just wanted to get an idea of what the long term feeling is from guys who are "happy " (happy being a daily reassesment and extremely relative for pilot types) at Emirates.I just think that guys from the states should seriously have their eyes open about what they are signing on for. It is a different life. Being an expat can be tough especially in a place like dubai where cultural assimilation is practically nonexsistant. Most of the lifetime expats I know (save for the ones running from the lawman) have largely assimilated into the culture where they are living and it makes life much easier and better if you will.Of course with all of this YMMV!!!RegardsBman
Beware the Shiny JEt Syndrome!!!!

Beware the Shiny JEt Syndrome!!!!

If you are to become an expat, make sure that it is making the big bucks! NOT because you want to fly one A/C or the other. There are some very well paid contracts out there.

About taxes, I'm with Typhoon on that one. How much is Peace of mind worth?

Last edited:
Fareview,

I didin't actually live there altough it seemed like I did! I worked for Atlas on the 400 which basically meant you flew for Emirates Skycargo which meant lotsa days/night/weeks in Dubai over the last two years.

I know a few emirates guys and alot more by association with the JAA capts at Atlas. They all say one thing. They are looking for the exit sign. The place is basically the platinum handcuffs. No union no work rules that are set and lots of pushing the outer edge of crew duty and staffing.

As for Dubai, Bad traffic, Super high cost of living (beyond the "included housing"), and the overall understanding that you round eye are just the help! The Emiraties are your superiors in everyway! It is their country after all and that's how your treated.

I should reiterate I do not nor have I worked for emirates (mainline)! Only passing along my impressions of Dubai and other's impression of Emirates.

Caveat Emptor

Bman
Bmann,

Don’t believe the negative bs that people say about EK. This is a good airline that treats its people well.

A number of issues you brought up – traffic; not much different that any major city at rush hour the difference being with work EK pilots get picked up by a driver in an air conditioned sedan for every work related activity.

You inverted your coma’s on company accom – not sure why. It is as advertised, fully paid, fully furnished, no utilities or you can choose rental/utility allowance.

Assimilation – expats gravitate towards expats wherever they live. Not fully assimilating into the Emirati way of life is not an issue for most.

To suggest that there is an environment of people looking to get out because you know of some examples of people no longer wanting to be at EK is a misrepresentation of the situation.

No union, no work rules. No idea what you are talking about – very pleasant environment. Pay raises (cumulative 16%) and bonuses this yr – without a union.

Are there detractors – yes. Are they a minority – yes. Do they exist at all airlines – yes. I know a number of guys who bailed from CX to UPS last year – because they did not care for the culture. Does this make CX a bad airline – no.

I understand this a conversation forum and all opinions are just that – but to be so emphatic and use the amount of exclamation marks you did in your posts about a country and a company you have not lived and worked in – is surprising.

The pilot community thrives on misguided schadenfreuede – human nature to boost our existential situation. It is my humble opinion that you are off the mark on this one.

Oh BTW, next time you are in DXB, drop me a pm and I will show the town – and it wont be where the pilots hang out.

Respectfully,

fareview

Bman you wrote the below post a while back about EK and Dubai:

"some might contend that US carriers have unions and no protection! Management can seem to change their rules and policies at will.

I spend alot of time in dubai and abroad and will tell you its alot of fun! Dubai can be a bit clickish, but so can anyplace. But let me tell ya been one place in the states and its pretty much like everywhere else, but if you are open minded and like adventure do the EK thing. New Equipment great destinations good looking FA's and a 100% Tax free income. Housing's included make some money have some fun.

Frankly the pay at CO isn't very good and after taxes ur working very hard for not very much, but hey live the dream! Sometimes you should think outside the box and maybe your life will change. - Bman"

Somewhat contradictory however the beer offer still stands,

Respectfully,

fareview

Fareview,

Well what can I say you've got me there on the contradiction. However at running the risk of being labeled a "flip flopper" I 've re-evaluated my endorsement with a bit of caution.

I never once said in any post that Emirates was a bad place to work, only that which others who have worked there have shared with me.

One only has to venture over to the pprune site to expereince the actual negative energy!

As to living in Dubai, well I've spent a lot of time in Dubai and I know it well enough to know that I wouldn't want to live there unless the opportunity is too good to pass up. I feel the same about Vegas for the most part. The whole place feels very plastic.

Maybe your experience has been different and I am sure that hanging out with you would be a blast especially if your buying:beer: !

Regards
Bman

PS
As to the traffic I gotta really disagree with you there unless you mean LA! At least with other cities you can sort of plan around it Dubai on the other hand is relentless save from between 0200-0430

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back