• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tax free salary

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Or as Typhoon pointed out you can use the Bona Fide Residence route if that applies.

I seem to remember that there were some possible pitfalls during your first year abroad.

Thanks guys those are both interesting replies.

I am such a numbskull when it comes to taxes.

This is why we need to get rid of the IRS completely.

But too many bigshots benefit from the way the system is currently set up, so we will probably never see that happen.

Congratulations !!
Do you mind sharing with who?
And if so.... how long from resume send-in, to interveiw, to hire?
Is this a DEC position or FO, what a/c?

And anything else you can think of...?

Thanks,

H.S

Sure,

Anything I can answer I'd be happy to. I had dates scheduled with both Emirates and Cathay, both DEFO. I really wasn't considering moving overseas again but I'm completely disgusted w/aviation in the US. I met with both of them at AIRINC ATL...I was truly impressed w/Emirates and gave them a resume. They called me the following week and wanted me to come out in two weeks-which I couldn't make. I interviewed in Aug, evidently they had A LOT of fo's going through that month...they were really busy.

They hired me two weeks later, which as I understand it is pretty quick however I had a job offer here in the States(they tell you at the welcome brief if that occurs to contact them so they can give you answer early, pretty classy). They also allowed me to pick equiptment and class date. They impressed me and I accepted the job-from what I saw it was a smooth operation and their growth plans are mind blowing.

If there is anything else I can help you with I'd be more than happy to.

Let's see what the tax attny says today...my wife will also earn decent $$ over there so lets see.

Congrats Turtle on the job!

I'll be arriving Dubai tomorrow afternoon (but not for an EK interview, although it sits in the back of my mind), 3-4'ish nights overnight. It's an interesting place! But hot!

I've taken a bunch of different carriers around from here and there overseas (i.e KLM, Lufthansa, Air France, Gulf Air, BA, United, Delta, Emirates). I always thought EK was the best, handsdown, out of them all, and did it consistently.

When do you start school?

Last edited:
Mid December....I've got a lot to clean up here in the States before going out!

And it's no hotter there than PHX...plus I doubt global warming will be an issue!!!

Mid December....I've got a lot to clean up here in the States before going out!

And it's no hotter there than PHX...plus I doubt global warming will be an issue!!!

Yes, you do have a lot to clean up before you leave!!

And you'll still leave, and remember a bunch of things you still could have handled or forgot to do (after you left)!

Global warming???....The globe is already warm here, nothing left to heat up!

enjoy!

I'm heading over to Dubai for an interview in November. Any tips or gouge available for someone who's never been to the ME before?

Thanks!

Emirates

Guys,

consider this decision very carefully. On paper Dubai seems great, but the city itself has some serious downsides and the job does too!

www.escapeartist.com has some excellent tax tips and will add to the conversation. Also there is a great article about top 10 reason not to live in dubai.

All that being said it does work for some, but I think u must certainly leave the what is fair union mentallity at the door.

Rergards
Bman

Guys,

consider this decision very carefully. On paper Dubai seems great, but the city itself has some serious downsides and the job does too!

www.escapeartist.com has some excellent tax tips and will add to the conversation. Also there is a great article about top 10 reason not to live in dubai.

All that being said it does work for some, but I think u must certainly leave the what is fair union mentallity at the door.

Rergards
Bman

Bman,

When did you live in Dubai?

Respectfully,

fareview

Bman,

When did you live in Dubai?

Respectfully,

fareview

Fareview,

I didin't actually live there altough it seemed like I did! I worked for Atlas on the 400 which basically meant you flew for Emirates Skycargo which meant lotsa days/night/weeks in Dubai over the last two years.

I know a few emirates guys and alot more by association with the JAA capts at Atlas. They all say one thing. They are looking for the exit sign. The place is basically the platinum handcuffs. No union no work rules that are set and lots of pushing the outer edge of crew duty and staffing.

As for Dubai, Bad traffic, Super high cost of living (beyond the "included housing"), and the overall understanding that you round eye are just the help! The Emiraties are your superiors in everyway! It is their country after all and that's how your treated.

I should reiterate I do not nor have I worked for emirates (mainline)! Only passing along my impressions of Dubai and other's impression of Emirates.

Caveat Emptor

Bman

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back