• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tax Deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, for people that have interviews. Thats all deductable under job search. Travel there and back, hotel, cab, car rental, interview and sim-prep, any supplies, type rating, anything to do with the interview!

Last edited:
stardard per diem deduction rate varies depending on metro location. However..you must reduce that with the per diem you actually recieve, which means you can deduct the difference between what is paid and what is allowed. Also you can only deduct the cost of pilot supplies, job expenses etc that are above 2% of your adjusted gross income. Shieshines and shaving are allowable, cable tv maybe, crashpads and laptops/cellphones are not. just alil info I learned the hard way
=blue skies!

There is a little "IF" in the tax code. Which says "If an individual works in the transportation industry she/he may elect to take a standard per-diem." This year it's $34 I think. I'll look into it. But they let us do this because they know it's hard to keep track of all the different city's flight crews go to. So they give us this option, which in the long run works out to are advantage because alot of the city's are below this standard amount.

tax stuff

I have a question about the comment regarding 2% of your agi. Does that mean the total of all my expenses have to be more than 2%? Then can I deduct the total amount or just that over 2%? Probably two stupid questions but I am rather slow. One more...the perdiem. I expense perdiem while on union duty and some city's perdiem is as much as $44 a day. I was told this was the standard DOT amount. THe lowest I can remember while in a smaller city was $36.

I have a question for some Tax saavy people?

Isn't it true that if you have a second business on the side that is not co-located with your first job/business, that the IRS will allow you to deduct travel expenses, etc. involved with the second business. I think it was explained to me one time that the IRS will consider one place or the other your primary Tax home, and usually that is the place where you are based as an airline pilot as long as that is your highest source of income.

For example Joe Schmoe is an airline pilot and has a dry-cleaning business on the side. Joe lives in Washington D.C. but commutes to Detroit where he is based at his airline. His drycleaning business in back in D.C.. Joe makes more working at the airline. Can Joe deduct travel/commuting expenses for his business back in D.C. since he can not deduct travel/crashpad/hotel expenses while he is in his tax home of Detroit?

Also, are the military reserves considered another job or business that you could conceivably deduct things like mileage to drive to your duty station?

Thanks

The 2% question. Let's say, your total deduction on sch.A is $10,000. Your AGI is $50,000 .... 2% is $1,000. Subtract that from your $10,000. That gives you a $9,000 deduction.

Here is the standard meal allowance rule, from IRS-Publication 463,page 6:
Special rate for transportation workers: You can use a special standard rate meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry.....If this applies to you, you can claim a $38 a day standard meal allowance ($42 for travel outside the US). Using the special rate for transportation workers eliminates the need for you to determine the standard meal allowance for every area where you stop for sleep. If you choose to use the special rate for any trip, you must use the speacial rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips you take that year.

Latest resources

Back