Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MartinFierro

Flyin' Gaucho
I was wondering....if your destination airport is close enough to your departure airport to legally be filed as a takeoff alternate, can you legally file your destination as the takeoff alternate if you need one, assuming the WX at your destination meets alternate requirements? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any replies.:)

Absolutely. Yes. The fact that the other airport is your destination has no bearing on weather or not it can be used for a takeoff alternate.

Keep in mind, however, that if a destination is used as a takeoff alternate, it needs to have alternate weather mins, be usable as an alternate airport - all of the restrictions that apply to alternates generally then apply to the DEST if its used as a TOA.

Also, if in mountainous terrain areas (in the driftdown sensitive region), your weight should be limited to that which would allow compliance with Method I - Terrain Clearance to the takeoff alternate, since you're planning it engine-out. You cant use Method II - Driftdown, since it assumes engine-loss at altitude, and if you're diverting to the takeoff alternate - you're not having a good day.

WOAAAAAAAA

Dispatch Guy, I think you are assuming it is Part 121 flight? Remember there are other parts...91 and 135 that may hold different requirements. I always love it when you call 3 different FSDOs with a question like this and see how many different answers you get.

Humble

Humble,

When you're speaking to the FSDO's, remember that the inspectors employed there can only give you opinions. Their view isn't fact, and all one need to is learn the facts; what the FSDO has to say is superfluous.

When you get three different opinions, you haven't received three different interpretations; just individual viewpoints, and these mean nothing.

I wasn't aware that 135 or 91 operations needed a takeoff alternate. Yes, and alternate is an alternate, and the requirements are the same. It doesn't matter what his first name is, if his last name is alternate, the requirements are in the ops manual. Yes, we often used BWI as a takeoff alternate for DCA, and it was also the destination. No problem there.

True, being a dispatcher, 135 is just wasted paper to me, since there is no real operational control in it :)

I do see where 135.217 states that there will be a takeoff alternate within 1 hrs flight time (even for a 3-4 engine airplane), and that 135.221 requires alternate weather minima for the time that the flight arrives.

I still prefer 121 ;)

Latest resources

Back