• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA "AIP reached with Company"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Walking through PHX and counting flag ties give me serious concerns about the ability to pull off any demonstration of unity

Walking through PHX and counting flag ties give me serious concerns about the ability to pull off any demonstration of unity

Odd I've seen very few non dark ties system wide for a while. So much so I'm surprised the few times I see them.

While I respect your overall knowledge of labor law, I think I'll trust the interpretation of SWAPA and the subject matter experts versus yours, a disgruntled former employee who has no love for SWA, SWAPA, or anything associated with either. I wonder if you have been asked by your ALPA buddy, Mr. Babbit, to help manage expectations. Your position here is basically the company's postion and ignores the pay rates, partitions and a handful of other issues that would be required to be addressed and you know that. Strange

Randy is definitely not my "buddy."

All of your points are addressed by the managements rights clause. This is basic labor law, my friend. Nothing in your CBA prevents SWA from operating those aircraft.

Randy is definitely not my "buddy."

All of your points are addressed by the managements rights clause. This is basic labor law, my friend. Nothing in your CBA prevents SWA from operating those aircraft.

First even is "Randy" is not your buddy as you claim you and Mr. Babbit have common interest in wanting to see the SWAPA pilots get a bad deal. Him because it's good for himself and Mr. Kelly. You purely out of spite.

Second we are not friends.

Third I guess we'll see if you and Mr. Babbits interpretation is correct or SWAPAs. If the AIP is good then we must have some leverage. If the AIP is bad and it gets rejected at some point we'll see who's correct when the airplanes come, especially if a partition is required. That in and of itself would cause a whole host of secondary very clear contract violations. I'm very willing to have those aircraft sit while that gets sorted out and have every confidence that SWAPAs leadership and membership is of the same mind.

Last edited:
First even is "Randy" is not your buddy as you claim you and Mr. Babbit have common interest in wanting to see the SWAPA pilots get a bad deal. Him because it's good for himself and Mr. Kelly. You purely out of spite.

False. I've always said that I hope you get a good deal. Not because I give a damn about the "real" SWA pilots, mind you, but because I want the AirTran pilots to get something, and because what you get affects the entire industry pattern. In other words, if you get a good deal, then my friends at DAL and UAL get a better deal.

Second we are not friends.

Oh, now you've hurt my feelings! :laugh:

I'm very willing to have those aircraft sit while that gets sorted out and have every confidence that SWAPAs leadership and membership is of the same mind.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

I haven't seen a flag tie since July. I'm a HOU guy, don't get to PHX much.

Seems to me that the Co. deal with JB would constitute a "major dispute"...which would be some leverage in of itself.

Can you name another carrier that was able to place into service another fleet type in absence of a pay rate for the new aircraft, PCL? Also, if the Faa is truly insisting on a subset of pilots to operate those aircraft, barring a SL, would that not also constitute a major dispute under the RLA?

Ty, most contracts contain an arbitration clause that prevents a company from bringing a new type on the property without arbitrating the pay rates and work rules associated with the new type. SWAPA doesn't have that. Instead, they just have a re-opener clause, which means the company has to bargain over it, but is under no obligation to reach agreement before the planes start operation.

I don't remember anything in the CBA that would specifically prohibit management from creating a separate bid category for a new type, provided everything was done according to seniority. If I'm just not remembering it, by all means, point it out. But without that, the management rights clause would allow that without a problem also.

Nice play Bunkle

Latest resources

Back