Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Setting things straight

Flyboysgal,

Your "poor alex" remark kind of kicked me out of my initial disappointment. Just to set the record straight, I've been in the AF for almost 22 years having a great time. I just got selected for promotion to Colonel. So, if I retire, I've got a guaranteed income for the rest of my life. If I decide to stay in, I'm guaranteed a job for 8 more years, then lifetime retirement pay from then on. I've also got a great wife. I don't consider myself "poor" in any way, just temporarily disappointed. I think I know how you meant it though-thanks

For the rest--statistical data for rejection
- 44 years old
- Did not have a type (initially scheduled for 17 Sept interview)
- Military, mostly trainer time (T-38, T-37, T-1) (see profile)
- Actively flying the T-1 (I have recency)
- Masters degree in Av Sci from ERAU
- Did the Rob Beeks interview prep (which I still wholeheartedly endorse--an absolute must for those who want to get to SWA, IMHO)
- Thought the interview went great
- SWA called my contacts on the 5-year employment history and those who wrote letters for me within SWA--all gave SWA positive endorsements
- Called to go take a drug test last week, did so a day later
- No skeletons in my driving record, credit history, etc.

Let me know if you want any more data. Might as well learn from my situation.

Good luck,
alex

Yep! Not so poor!

It is good to see the perspective!
Sometimes it gets all out of proportion. This was an enrichment thing, not a desperation thing. When it looks bad around you, you feel like everyone is swimming with the sharks.
I just advised a friend to tell a pilot they know that it is not a bad time to start feeling the waters on an app. to SWA. This other guy is doing Guard time on furlough and not hurting at present. It is not about who gets in before you, or who is the better guy, or (As I call it "The Willy Wonka Effect") who WANTS it the most.
They have their reasons and they are all good.
They are the boss. They do the judging.

I am happy you are enjoying the life you got, alex. See what you get by being short and to the point!! People (like me) can write a lot into it! Your info IS very helpful and puts other stuff into perspective!
Like I said, I am ready for the next time.

BTW, the mail box was empty....
AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!
Ok, I guess I sign off TOMORROW!!!
;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back